Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
Le monde doit aujourd’hui répondre à un appel à la mobilisation sans précédent face à la situation de quatre pays menacés par la famine, et à la demande croissante d’aide humanitaire et de résilience. Dans ce contexte, il est de la plus haute importance d’informer la communauté de la sécurité alimentaire à l’échelle mondiale et nationale, quant au risque de crises alimentaires et à la sévérité de ces crises. Les parties prenantes ont largement investi dans l’analyse de la sécurité alimentaire et les systèmes d’alerte précoce afin de mieux prévenir et répondre aux crises alimentaires.
The Horn of Africa comprising Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda covers approximately 5.2 million square kilometers with more than 65% of the land receiving less than 500mm of rainfall annually. This region is home to over 217 million people with diverse and rich culture, resources and opportunities which have enabled them to harness livelihoods over the years.
UN Secretary-General, WBG and IsDBG Presidents, and other Agency Heads Visit Region to Link Peace Efforts with Economic Progress
Overview of situation in the region
The Horn of Africa suffers from recurrent droughts and emergencies, as well as continuously high under-nutrition and food insecurity among its population. Food insecurity is aggravated by the recent sharp increases in food and fuel prices, demographic pressures, weak governance, and insecurity in the area.
Piracy in the Western Indian Ocean has been a growing threat to security, international shipping and development since the mid-2000s. While bearing all aspects of organised crime, piracy is a complex issue that can only be overcome by combining political and diplomatic efforts with military and legal action, development assistance and strong international coordination.
Brussels, 8 December 2011
The Council today appointed Mr Alexander Rondos as EU Special Representative to the Horn of Africa.
3124th FOREIGN AFFAIRS Council meeting
Brussels, 14 November 2011
The Council adopted the following conclusions:
Emergency aid should be rapidly scaled up to prevent any further worsening of humanitarian conditions in the Horn of Africa, say MEPs in a resolution passed on Thursday. Extra funds are needed to pay for food aid, healthcare, clean water and sanitation for 13 million people in Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Eritrea and Djibouti hit by conflict and the worst famine in 60 years.
Catherine Ashton, the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the Commission, made today the following statement: "Faced with the worst droughts in 60 years, over 12 million people in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia,
Eritrea and Djibouti are in urgent need of food, water and shelter. The situation is grave, and it is a moral obligation of the international community to offer its help.
The European Parliament,
- having regard to Court of Auditors Special Report No 10/2008 on EC Development Assistance to Health Services in sub-Saharan Africa,
- having regard to the Millennium Declaration of the United Nations of 18 September 2000, which sets out the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) as criteria established collectively by the international community for the elimination of poverty,
- having regard to the Commission Communication of 7 October 2005 entitled 'Speeding up progress towards the Millennium Development Goals - The …