Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- The Crisis Below the Headlines: Conflict Displacement in Ethiopia
- Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Ethiopia - Round 13: September - October 2018
- Eritrea-Ethiopia peace leads to a refugee surge
- Ethiopia Food Security Outlook, October 2018 to May 2019
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Afar Region, Round 13: September/October 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
- Five countries hosting Somali refugees asked to speed up legislation to allow free movement, education and employment for the refugees.
- Despite efforts by the Somalia government to create a conducive environment for voluntary return supported by the international donors, the security situation has not improved forcing these countries to accommodate considerable number of returnees.
By Fred Oluoch
Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Djibouti and Yemen — home to about 900,000 Somali refugees — are still struggling to ease movement of refugees, integrate them into national development programmes and give them access to services and jobs.
This is mainly because international partners that support the Nairobi Action Plan created in March last year, are constrained by funding other programmes elsewhere, among them security and environmental degradation.
By Jeff Otieno and Apolinari Tairo
East Africans should brace for three months of El Niño rains, local and international meteorologists have warned.
The torrential rains are expected between September and December in most areas, but will extend to February next year in some parts of the greater Horn of Africa region.
By JEFF OTIENO
What is normal rainfall?
•Above average rainfall, normal rainfall and below average rainfall are calculated using the long-term average rainfall of a particular ecological zone. The long-term average rainfall of a region is the mean rainfall amount for the past 30 years. It is calculated for both the long rains and short rains.
By MATHIAS RINGA
Countries from the Great Lakes region and Horn of Africa are to harmonise their laws to fight the proliferation of small arms and light weapons.
"In order to address the problem effectively, we have resolved to harmonise our laws so that we can rein in the culprits.