Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2019
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNHCR welcomes Ethiopia law granting more rights to refugees
- Multi-dimensional Child Deprivation in Ethiopia - First National Estimates
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 72 | 7 - 20 January 2019
- Ethiopia | Internal displacement (December 2018) – DG ECHO Daily Map | 22/01/2019
- Operational Plan for Rapid Response: Internal Displacement around Kamashi and Assosa (Benishangul Gumuz) and East and West Wollega (Oromia), 26 December 2018
Foreword by the Executive Director
The year 2018 was another challenging period for millions of women and girls whose lives have been upended by conflict, hazards, pandemics and displacement.
A staggering 136 million people needed aid, an estimated 34 million of whom were women of reproductive age; 5 million of those women were pregnant.
- 20,000+ refugees and IDPs received relief packages across South Sudan in December 2018.
- 19,000+ refugees relocated to Pamir and Ajoung Thok refugee camp in 2018.
- 400+ refugee newborns registered in December 2018 in Upper Nile.
Working with Partners in 2018
- UNHCR works closely with the Government of South Sudan to deliver assistance and protection services to refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs).
À la fin du mois de décembre 2018, 21 Plans de réponse humanitaire (HRP) et le Plan régional de réponse pour la Syrie (3RP) nécessitaient 24,93 milliards de dollars pour assister 97,9 millions de personnes ayant un besoin urgent d’assistance humanitaire. Les financements requis restaient identiques à ceux enregistrés à fin du mois de novembre 2018. Les plans sont financés à hauteur de 14,58 milliards de dollars, comblant 58,5% des besoins financiers pour 2018.
15 December 2018: On the road between Ouagadougou and BoboDioulasso, a Canadian aid worker traveling to Togo for a humanitarian project with the organisation Zion’Gaia went missing.
No further details specified. Source: aOuaga
24 December 2018: In Kinindo commune, Bujumbura Mairie province, Burundian soldiers arrested an employee of the NGO Handicap International while he was at a bar. There is no indication as to why he was arrested. Source: SOS Averages Burundi
The Early Warning Early Action (EWEA) report on food security and agriculture is produced by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). It provides a quarterly forward-looking analysis of major disaster risks to food security and agriculture, specifically highlighting:
1,067 IDPs Profiled during a profiling exercise at UNMISS Bor Protection of Civilian site.
12,000+ Households with identified persons with specific needs received non-food items (NFIs) across South Sudan during the reporting period.
10 Peace outreach visits took place throughout Maban county, conducted by UNHCR and the Joint Peace Committee.
INSIDE SOUTH SUDAN
291,824 Refugees inside South Sudan as of 31 December 2018.
Overview and developments
At the end of December 2018, 21 Humanitarian Response Plans (HRP) and the Syria Regional Response Plan (3RP) required US$24.93 billion to assist 97.9 million people in urgent need of humanitarian support. The requirements remained unchanged as of the end of November 2018. The plans are funded at $14.58 billion which amounts to 58.5 per cent of financial requirements for 2018. Notably, the percentage of total funding contributed through humanitarian response plans carried out by the UN with partners in 2018 is estimated at 62.9%.
Approximately 3,000 Persons participated in a youth cultural festival organized by the Refugee Youth committee in Ajuong Thok refugee camp.
50 women Graduated from handicraft training at Bor’s women centre.
3,133,640 SSP Generated by refugee entrepreneurs in Upper Nile.
INSIDE SOUTH SUDAN
294,776 Refugees inside South Sudan as of 30 November 2018.
1.97 million IDPs in South Sudan including 194,916 in UNMISS Protection of Civilians sites as of 10 December 2018.
This brief summarizes FEWS NET’s most forward-looking analysis of projected emergency food assistance needs in FEWS NET coverage countries. The projected size of each country’s acutely food insecure population (IPC Phase 3 and higher) is compared to last year and the recent five-year average and categorized as Higher, Similar, or Lower. Countries where external emergency food assistance needs are anticipated are identified. Projected lean season months highlighted in red indicate either an early start or an extension to the typical lean season.