Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Investigate police conduct after deaths of five people protesting ethnic clashes
- Displaced Ethiopians, returnees need continued support
- Ethiopia tops global list of highest internal displacement in 2018
- 23 Killed in Ethnic Violence Near Addis Ababa
China has delivered food donations worth 443.2 million yuan (69.58 million U.S. dollars) to the Horn of Africa which is suffering from severe drought and famine, a Chinese official said Sunday.
"This is the single largest grain donation to foreign countries ever delivered by Chinese government since the founding of the People's Republic of China (in 1949)," said Lu Shaye, head of the Department of African Affairs of the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
BEIJING, Oct. 16 (Xinhua) -- China's food aid for Africa including rice, wheat, flour, and edible oil will all be finished with shipment and reach the destinations by the end of this month, according to COFCO, the nation's largest food exporter and importer.
The food aid, worth 240 million yuan (about 38 million U.S. dollars), will help countries such as the Republic of Djibouti and Ethiopia in east Africa that suffers a worsening food crisis due to a heavy drought that began last year, according to the COFCO, undertaker of the Chinese government's food aid task.
China will offer further aid to drought-hit countries in the Horn of Africa, including medicine and medical equipment, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Monday.
"China has kept a close eye on the latest developments in the disaster and will offer more aid within its capacity to do so," spokesman Hong Lei said during a regular news briefing.
According to Hong, China is "actively considering" providing medical equipment and medicine to the region.
(Bangkok, 15 September 2011) – Five countries in Asia and the Pacific have donated almost 18 per cent of the total amount of emergency aid provided to date, to the crisis in the Horn of Africa.
Australia, Japan, China, the Republic of Korea and New Zealand have provided US$275 million to the four countries that make up the Horn of Africa crisis - Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya and Djibouti.
Highlights Countries in this issue: - International prices of wheat decreased for the third consecutive month but those of rice continue to increase.
BEIJING, July 29 (Xinhua) -- China announced Friday that it will provide a total of 90 million yuan (14 million U.S. dollars) worth of emergency food assistance to countries in the Horn of Africa.
"We are deeply concerned with the widespread famine triggered by the severe drought in the Horn of Africa region and our heartfelt sympathy goes out to all the drought victims," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu in a written statement.