Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- UNHCR Ethiopia Fact Sheet September 2018
The ongoing conflict and violence in South Sudan in the first half of 2018 further contributed to the continued internal displacement and outflow of refugees, further exacerbating the humanitarian situation.
Regional update - Africa
Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme
Sixty-ninth session 1-5 October 2018
A. Situational context
Update of UNHCR’s operations in Africa
A. Situational context
148,600+ Refugees and IDPs received material support across South Sudan in August 2018.
8,000+ Children early childhood development activities across South Sudan in August 2018.
3,000+ Tree seedlings distributed to refugees and host community across South Sudan in August 2018.
Working with Partners in 2018
UNHCR works closely with the Government of South Sudan to deliver assistance and protection services to refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs).
The 2017 Sudan Participatory Assessment, conducted between October and December 2017, involved 6,009 Persons of Concern to UNHCR engaged through some 385 semi-structured interviews, focus group discussions, individual interviews and participatory observation sessions. This assessment exercise was conducted by UNHCR in collaboration with partners, actively supported by the Government of Sudan, to engage refugees, asylum-seekers and refugee returnees – women, men, girls and boys of di fferent age, gender, nationality and ability – to identify their needs and examine ways to address them.
141,600+ Refugees and IDPs received nonfood items across South Sudan.
8,000+ Children early childhood development activities in Unity.
3,000+ Tree seedlings distributed to refugees and host community in Unity.
KEY FIGURES INSIDE SOUTH SUDAN
298,881 Refugees inside South Sudan as of 31 August 2018.
1.84 million IDPs in South Sudan including 198,444 in UNMISS Protection of Civilians sites as of 26 July 2018.
US $809.4 million - Funding requested by UNHCR for the South Sudan Situation in 2018.
A delegation of South Sudanese refugees tells the country’s leaders what they expect from revived peace talks in Sudan.
By Yvonne Ndege | 05 September 2018
KHARTOUM, Sudan – Driven from his land by conflict in South Sudan, farmer Singira Mirihewari traveled for 18 hours to tell leaders negotiating peace in Sudan what millions of refugees like him need.