Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- The Crisis Below the Headlines: Conflict Displacement in Ethiopia
- Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Ethiopia - Round 13: September - October 2018
- Eritrea-Ethiopia peace leads to a refugee surge
- Ethiopia Food Security Outlook, October 2018 to May 2019
- Ethiopia: Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Afar Region, Round 13: September/October 2018 - Summary of Key Findings
Message from our Regional Director
Despite numerous humanitarian challenges in 2017 in Africa, there were also a number of heart-warming accomplishments. A case in point, was when a local response of Red Crescent teams—and other partners—curbed Somalia's cholera outbreak through the power of local volunteers and shared international expertise. In terms of support to our members, 36 National Societies were able to kick start initiatives that built their capacity through seed grants.
By Soraya Dali-Balta,
This report covers the period: 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2014
Red Cross Staff receive confirmed Ebola patients at the then new Ebola treatment Centre in Kenema, Sierra Leone in September. More than 25,000 cases have been registered and more than 10,000 deaths in the worst Ebola epidemic the world has seen. National Societies continue to be on the forfront of the reponse and the IFRC, and its Secretariat have worked together to support them.
This report covers the period 01.01.2012 to 31.12.2012
This report covers the period 01/01/2011 to 31/12/2011.
In brief Examples of the CBF impact (more in annex):
Red Cross society of China, Hennan Province
After only two years of implementation of Intensified Capacity Building (ICB) in Hennan Province, the branch has recorded impressive achievements:
• The new structure benefitted 7,000 people through sustainable services
• Grassroots Red Cross organisations have increased from 90 to 3,100
• The number of volunteers increased from 10,000 to 30,000, and staff from 100 to 8,000
Period covered by this Final Report:
14 December 2009 - 29 February 2010
Summary: In 2009, there were 1,606 cases of wild poliovirus (WPV) reported globally (as of 10 March 2010); 738 of these cases were in Africa. The year proved to be challenging for the polio eradication effort, with outbreaks reported across a number of African countries.
This report covers the period 1 January to 30 June 2009
Programme purpose: In support of Global Agenda Goal 2, and Millennium Development Goal 4, liaise with global immunization partners to ensure the continued involvement of the International Federation and Red Cross Red Crescent National Societies in measles and polio supplementary immunization activities (SIAs) to increase uptake of services during both mass vaccination campaigns and routine immunization services and reduce global measles and polio-related morbidity and mortality.
- During the …
Period covered by this Ops Update: 15 May to 03 August, 2009
Appeal target (current): CHF 2,475,768 (USD 2.2m or EUR 1.7)
Appeal coverage: 56%
- This Emergency Appeal was initially launched on 7 April 2009 to assist approximately 25 million children under 5 years of age in 14 countries affected by the polio outbreak for four months.
- Operations Update (no.
Focus on the campaign in Togo
Period covered by this Ops Update no.
Period covered by this Ops Update: 7 April 14 May, 2009
Appeal target (current): this appeal has been provisionally increased to CHF 2,520,794 (USD 2.3m or EUR 1.7)
Appeal coverage: 24.6% (indicative) against the provisional revised budget figure of CHF 2.5m; the final revised budgets and updated financial report will be made available shortly;
- This Emergency Appeal was initially launched on 7 April 2009 to assist approximately 25 million children under 5 years of age in 14 countries affected by the polio outbreak for four months;
- This Operations Update …
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is launching an emergency appeal for 2.4 million Swiss francs (US$ 2.1 million, EUR 1.6 million) to support Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies from 14 countries in Africa to respond to wild poliovirus outbreaks across the continent.
"We have clear indications that polio is spreading again, including in countries such as Uganda which had been polio-free for more than a decade," says Dr Tammam Aloudat, IFRC Senior …
La Fédération internationale des Sociétés de la Croix-Rouge et du Croissant-Rouge (FICR) lance un appel d'urgence de 2,4 millions de francs suisses (USD 2,1 millions / EUR 1,6 million) afin d'aider les Sociétés de la Croix-Rouge et du Croissant-Rouge de 14 pays d'Afrique à faire face à des flambées de polio virus sauvages.
"Nous avons des informations établissant clairement que la poliomyélite est en train de se propager à nouveau, y compris dans des pays comme l'Ouganda où la maladie était …
This Emergency Appeal seeks CHF 2,432,933 (USD 2.1m or EUR 1.6) in cash, kind, or services to support National Societies in the affected countries to support the planned 5-month vaccination campaign that will reach a total of some 80 million people (in countries covered by the appeal), a significant portion of whom will benefit directly from Red Cross and Red Crescent action1.
This appeal seeks a total of CHF 19,494,438 to fund programmes and activities to be implemented in 2007.
The International Federation's mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity. It is the world's largest humanitarian organization and its millions of volunteers are active in over 183 countries.
Appeal No. 05EA025; Operations Update no. 2; Period covered: 20 November 2005 to 15 December 2005; Appeal coverage: 8.0%.
- Launched on 7 November 2005for CHF 8,383,957 (USD 6,418,345 or EUR 5,433,127) for 12 months to assist 650,000 beneficiaries.
This appeal seeks a total of CHF 3,011,000(1) to fund programmes and activities to be implemented in 2006 and 2007.
This appeal seeks a total of CHF 34,095,0001 to fund programmes and activities to be implemented in 2006 and 2007.
The Federation's mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity. It is the world's largest humanitarian organization and its millions of volunteers are active in 178 countries. For more information: www.ifrc.org
At least 3,500 people have died in the worst outbreak of meningoccal meningitis to sweep sub-Saharan Africa in the last decade. From the Red Sea to the Atlantic Ocean, a total of 38,000 cases have been documented but many more are likely to have gone unreported, according to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.