Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 67 | 29 October - 11 November 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 66 | 15 - 28 October 2018
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Multi-Sectoral Intervention Vital to Accelerate Reduction of Stunting: Researchers
From drought to floods — climate variability still impacting on vulnerable pastoral and agricultural communities.
The Eastern sector of the region has suddenly shifted from experi-encing severe drought to floods. This feature is a constant and urgent reminder of climate variability impacting on the most vulnerable pastoral and marginal agricultural communities.
Dear friends and colleagues,
IRIN is ending the year on a high.
Our climate change expert, Jaspreet Kindra, was invited to chair two separate panel discussions at COP 17 in Durban, and our PlusNews staffer, Keisha Rukikaire-Kagwa, was part of a satellite discussion on HIV in emergencies at the ICASA HIV/AIDS conference in Addis Ababa – great recognition of the quality of their work.
Chronic conflict, cyclical drought, floods, disease out-breaks, environmental degradation, rapid population growth, and limited government capacity present signifi-cant challenges to vulnerable populations in the East and Central Africa region. Between Fiscal Year (FY) 2002 and FY 2011, USAID’s Office of U.S.
- 541 African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control: meeting of national task forces, September 2011
- 549 Progress introducing rotavirus vaccine into Latin America and the Caribbean, 2006-2010
- 555 Monthly report on dracunculiasis cases, January-September 2011
The mandate of the Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture of the African Union Commission is to initiate and promote policies that can contribute to the development of rural economy and improve livelihoods through increasing agricultural productivity, ensuring food security, and enhancing sustainable use and management of Africa’s natural resources.
In Africa, ongoing and new emergencies caused large-scale displacement in 2010 and 2011. In southern and central Somalia, in addition to drought and emerging famine, fighting led to mass movements within the country and across borders, straining services and facilities in already overcrowded camps in Ethiopia,
Djibouti and Kenya. In Côte d’Ivoire, in December 2010, more than 150,000 refugees crossed the border into neighbouring countries, as a result of political instability.
GENEVA, 03 October, 2011– UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres warned today that an increasingly complex international environment is making it harder to find solutions for the world’s more than 43 million refugees, internally displaced and stateless people.
Speaking at the opening of the annual meeting in Geneva of UNHCR’s governing Executive Committee, Guterres said the international community needed to up its collective game to prevent conflict, to adapt to climate change and to better manage natural disasters.
25e, 26e & 27 séances plénières
Matin, après-midi & soir
L’Assemblée générale a poursuivi, aujourd’hui, son débat général entamé le mercredi 21 septembre, plusieurs pays s’attachant à développer son thème principal sur le rôle de la médiation dans le règlement des conflits par des moyens pacifiques. Les « soulèvements arabes » ont également été au cœur de nombreuses interventions.
Malgré tous les efforts – du reste payant - déployés par le gouvernement pour garantir la stabilité du cadre macroéconomique, la RDC demeure toujours incertaine sur le plan politique. Le risque d’explosion est permanent au regard des tensions récurrentes qui minent sa partie Est. Sur un classement publié par Global Peace Index, et rendu par Slate.fr, la RDC figure en 3ème position sur une liste de 10 pays les plus dangereux d’Afrique.
12 September 2011
President of Council Appoints Members of the Commission of Inquiry to Investigate Alleged Violations of Human Rights Law in Syria
The Human Rights Council this afternoon concluded its general debate and heard an address by Radhika Coomaraswamy, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on children and armed conflict. The President of the Council also announced the appointment of members of the Commission of Inquiry to investigate alleged violations of human rights law in Syria.
Cinquième Commission Deuxième partie de la reprise de session 42e séance – matin
Après deux mois d’intenses négociations, la Cinquième Commission (chargée des questions administratives et budgétaires), a recommandé à l’Assemblée générale d’approuver un montant de plus de 7 milliards de dollars pour le financement de 13 opérations de maintien de la paix des Nations Unies (OMP), au cours de l’exercice annuel, allant du 1er juillet 2011 au 30 juin 2012.
African refugees do not need more pledges, but for governments to act on those already made.
BY ALLEHONE MULUGETA ABEBE
In 2010 the European Union (27 Member States and the European Commission) maintained and strenghtened its long-term commitment to relieve the suffering of the victims of man-made and natural disasters, and kept its position the world’s leading donor of humanitarian aid. Of the €9.8 billion of humanitarian assistance provided worldwide in 2010, some 41% was delivered by the EU.
This issue covers the period from November 2010 to May 2011. Its special focus is on climate change and climate variability and how these affect food and nutrition security and aggravate the problems of hunger and undernutrition. This edition aims to provide some basic understanding of the ways that climate change exacerbates humanitarian crises and to contribute to the debate about how to face this challenge.
Barbara Barungi, Kazuhiro Numasawa, Adeleke Salami and Adalbert Nshimyumuremyi
· Pasture and water shortages are occurring in regions of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia, as pastoral and cropping areas have experienced poor March to May rains, with continued poor rainfall and below-average harvests expected, according to USAID’s Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET).