Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- Ethiopia: Some 1,786 Displaced Persons Return Home
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
Landmines continue to kill or maim more than 4,000 people yearly
United Nations appeals for $498 million to address the challenge in 29 countries
GENEVA - Mine action initiatives in 29 countries, territories or peacekeeping missions will cost $498 million in 2011, according to the 14th edition of the annual Portfolio of Mine Action Projects, released today by the United Nations in Geneva.
The portfolio is an annual snapshot of the impact of landmines and explosive remnants of war in countries or territories with mine action programmes.
Milestone Convention continues to be a guiding light for the global disarmament movement.
NEW YORK, New York, March 1, 2011- Twelve years ago, the milestone Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction entered into force. Since the Convention's inception, 156 countries have become States Parties.
The Mine-Ban Convention commits member states to prevent future landmine contamination and to work to solve the existing landmine problem.
POLICY AND COORDINATION
• UNMAS celebrated its 10th anniversary.
• The General Assembly reaffirmed UNMAS’ role as the focal point for mine action within the UN system.
• The UN Mine Action Team supported efforts by Member States to develop a legally binding instrument that addresses the impact of cluster munitions.
• The Secretary-General reported on progress and challenges in mine action in over 40 reports to the Security Council on a wide range of country situations and thematic issues.