Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- The Crisis Below the Headlines: Conflict Displacement in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia to vaccinate more than 1 million people against yellow fever
- Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Ethiopia - Round 13: September - October 2018
- Eritrea-Ethiopia peace leads to a refugee surge
- Ethiopia Food Security Outlook, October 2018 to May 2019
New York, 17 June 2009
Desertification and land degradation affect one third of the Earth's surface, threatening the livelihoods, well-being and development of as many as 1 billion people. Faced with long periods of drought, famine and deepening poverty, many have only one option: flight from the land. There are already an estimated 24 million environmentally induced migrants.
New York, 18 March 2009 - Deputy Secretary-General's remarks to General Assembly thematic debate on the right to education in emergency, post-crisis and transition situations caused by man-made conflicts and natural disasters
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am pleased to welcome you to this important debate.
SG/SM/10475, AFR/1387, OBV/560
AFR/1319 Following is the text of the message of UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan to the Summit meeting of the African Union in Khartoum delivered by Mohamed Mohamed Sahnoun, Special Adviser to the Secretary-General on Africa:
It gives me great pleasure to send my greetings to the Heads of State and Government gathered for this important Summit of the African Union.
I welcome the decision to make "education and culture" the theme of this Summit.
NEW YORK, 4 October - Africa today is afflicted by fewer serious armed conflicts than it was just six years ago, says United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan in an annual report issued today in New York. When he issued his first major report on the causes of conflict in Africa in 1998, there were 14 countries in the midst of war and another 11 were suffering from severe political turbulence. Today, Mr.
EMBARGO: 6:00 am, EST; 12:00 pm (noon),
local time in Zambia
Lusaka, 9 July 2001
Press Release SG/SM/7373 - 20000501
The following statement was issued today by the Office of the Spokesman for Secretary-General Kofi Annan:
The Secretary-General has asked Manuel Aranda da Silva, a senior staff member with the World Food Programme, to travel immediately to the Horn of Africa to serve as the United Nations Regional Humanitarian Coordinator for the Drought in the Horn of Africa.