Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Placing IDPs on the Map in Ethiopia and Beyond
- ECHO Factsheet – Ethiopia – Last updated 17/12/2018
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- 700,000 people flee conflict to seek safety in Somali region of Ethiopia
- EU steps up support for Ethiopia: emergency aid for refugees, internally displaced people and to tackle natural disasters
Investment surpasses April 2016 commitment three years ahead of schedule
WASHINGTON, March 7, 2018 – The World Bank Group (WBG) has invested US$3.2 billion over the past two years in education projects benefiting adolescent girls, surpassing its April 2016 commitment to invest US$2.5 billion over five years, the organization announced today on the eve of International Women’s Day.
On Monday 16 October 2017 the Council adopted the EU Annual Report on Human Rights And Democracy in the World in 2016.
2016 was a challenging year for human rights and democracy, with a shrinking space for civil society and complex humanitarian and political crises emerging. In this context, the European Union showed leadership and remained strongly committed to promote and protect human rights and democracy across the world.
International prices of wheat dipped in August, after increasing in the past few months, following an upturn in production prospects in the Black Sea region which improved the 2017 global supply outlook.
Maize quotations also fell on improved weather conditions and abundant global supplies. International prices of rice were relatively stable, although price movements were mixed across the different rice market segments.
20-YEAR REVIEW SHOWS 90% OF DISASTERS ARE WEATHER-RELATED; US, CHINA, INDIA, PHILIPPINES AND INDONESIA RECORD THE MOST
23 November 2015, GENEVA – A new report issued today by the UN, “The Human Cost of Weather Related Disasters”, shows that over the last twenty years, 90% of major disasters have been caused by 6,457 recorded floods, storms, heatwaves, droughts and other weather-related events.
The five countries hit by the highest number of disasters are the United States (472), China (441), India (288), Philippines (274), and Indonesia, (163).
This report covers the period 01/01/2011 to 31/12/2011.
In brief Examples of the CBF impact (more in annex):
Red Cross society of China, Hennan Province
After only two years of implementation of Intensified Capacity Building (ICB) in Hennan Province, the branch has recorded impressive achievements:
• The new structure benefitted 7,000 people through sustainable services
• Grassroots Red Cross organisations have increased from 90 to 3,100
• The number of volunteers increased from 10,000 to 30,000, and staff from 100 to 8,000