Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Multi-million-dollar project to construct schools in refugee camps and host communities launched in Ethiopia
- EU Desirous to Support Ethiopia in Fighting Human Trafficking: European Commission Official
- Placing IDPs on the Map in Ethiopia and Beyond
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 69 | 25 November - 9 December 2018
- In southern Ethiopia, herders join forces to revive rangelands
Landmines continue to kill or maim more than 4,000 people yearly
United Nations appeals for $498 million to address the challenge in 29 countries
GENEVA - Mine action initiatives in 29 countries, territories or peacekeeping missions will cost $498 million in 2011, according to the 14th edition of the annual Portfolio of Mine Action Projects, released today by the United Nations in Geneva.
The portfolio is an annual snapshot of the impact of landmines and explosive remnants of war in countries or territories with mine action programmes.
Sixty-fifth General Assembly
2010 Portfolio Highlights
27 countries, territories, missions
This 13th edition of the annual Portfolio of Mine Action Projects features overviews and project outlines for 27 countries, territories or missions affected by landmines and explosive remnants of war.
There are 277 projects in the 2010 portfolio. Africa accounts for the largest number: 103.
95 appealing agencies; one in five projects from national NGOs
The 2010 portfolio continues to receive a high level of participation by an array of appealing agencies, including national authorities, …
Korab Mula (27) from Albania lost his two arms and injured both legs when he stepped on a mine and then fell on another one in June 2000. With international assistance, he was fitted with conventional prosthetic arms, but they give him problems and he cannot use them which has caused him to feel dejected and depressed. Only with more advanced electronic prostheses, which are not available in Albania, does Korab stand a realistic chance to train up for a job, and even get married.
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
5th & 6th Meetings (AM & PM)
To effectively tackle terrorism, entrenched poverty and the threat of weapons proliferation, a more equitable multilateral system that valued diversity and fostered a "climate of dialogue" was urgently needed, world leaders attending the General Assembly's annual debate stressed today, as they pushed for a more democratic United Nations.
Dix ans après l'entrée en vigueur du Traité sur l'interdiction de l'emploi, du stockage, de la production et du transfert des mines antipersonnel et sur leur destruction (Traité d'interdiction des mines antipersonnel), la société civile, les États et l'ONU ont beaucoup fait pour mettre fin aux souffrances causées par les mines terrestres. Plus de 41 millions de ces mines ont été détruites. Des terres ont été déminées et rendues aux communautés.
Il est essentiel de continuer à renforcer l'arsenal de protection des civils en période de conflit armé, estime le Secrétaire général de l'ONU, Ban Ki-moon, dans un rapport publié mercredi.
L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for more robust measures to protect civilians caught in the middle of armed conflict, noting the "appalling levels of human suffering" endured due to the failure of combatants to fully respect international law.
"Civilians still account for the vast majority of casualties and continue to be targeted and subjected to indiscriminate attacks and other violations by parties to conflict," Mr.
1. Le présent rapport répond à la demande formulée par le Président du Conseil de sécurité dans sa déclaration du 27 mai 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité. Comme souvent, en tel cas, il y a de quoi se réjouir mais on peut aussi revoir d'un oeil critique les progrès réalisés.
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to the request contained in the statement of the President of the Security Council of 27 May 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. The year 2009 marks the tenth anniversary of the consideration by the Security Council of the protection of civilians in armed conflict as a thematic issue.
La donación española de 29 millones de euros a Gavi Alliance contribuirá a acelerar las iniciativas en materia de vacunación en 72 de los países más pobres del mundo.
Esta mañana se han reunido en la sede de la AECID la Secretaria de Estado de Cooperación Internacional, Soraya Rodríguez y la Directora de la AECID, Elena Madrazo con el Secretario Ejecutivo de GAVI, Dr.
International efforts have failed to reduce the scale of internal displacement caused by conflict.
The present report examines the challenges faced by the United Nations and its partners in providing professional mediation assistance to parties in conflict. It describes the need for experienced and knowledgeable mediators and support teams, with women adequately represented, and sufficient resources to provide assistance at an early stage to help parties design and pursue processes that will address the root causes of their conflicts, overcome obstacles that block progress, and achieve agreements that lead to sustainable peace.
Although seized of new crises in Kenya, Georgia and the Horn of Africa, the bulk of the Security Council's work in 2008 involved pushing forward numerous initiatives it had authorized in the previous year concerning existing crises, including the deployment of innovative peacekeeping arrangements in the Sudan and the implementation of hopeful accords in the Middle East and various African conflict situations.
The Portfolio of Mine Action Projects 2009 provides a snapshot of the problems of landmines and explosive remnants of war (ERW) in 33 countries, territories and peacekeeping missions, and describes the strategies for eliminating each of these threats.
This 12th edition of the annual portfolio is a collection of mine action project proposals that reflect a strategic response by field-based partners to the landmine and ERW problems in specific countries or territories.
The Security Council in 2007 focused intensive efforts on resolving, monitoring and managing a daunting range of complex situations already on its agenda, in concert with the new Secretary-General, developing groundbreaking peacekeeping arrangements and other innovative strategies aimed at strengthening global security.
Sixty-second General Assembly
72nd & 73rd Meetings (AM & PM)
Assembly President: 'Best Advocates for Children are the Children Themselves'; Kenyan Youth Says Meeting 'Our Final Chance to Urge You to Keep Your Promises'
Since the Anti-Personnel Mine-Ban Treaty was adopted in September 1997, mine action has helped an ever-increasing number of civilians reclaim their lives and restore their livelihoods. The treaty has helped mobilize the international community's response to landmines and their impact on people.