Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2019
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Multi-dimensional Child Deprivation in Ethiopia - First National Estimates
- UNHCR welcomes Ethiopia law granting more rights to refugees
- U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants Applauds Ethiopia’s New Refugee Law
- Operational Plan for Rapid Response: Internal Displacement around Kamashi and Assosa (Benishangul Gumuz) and East and West Wollega (Oromia), 26 December 2018
- UN Entities Support Ethiopia’s Quest for Policy Coherence for SDGs
2010 Portfolio Highlights
27 countries, territories, missions
This 13th edition of the annual Portfolio of Mine Action Projects features overviews and project outlines for 27 countries, territories or missions affected by landmines and explosive remnants of war.
There are 277 projects in the 2010 portfolio. Africa accounts for the largest number: 103.
95 appealing agencies; one in five projects from national NGOs
The 2010 portfolio continues to receive a high level of participation by an array of appealing agencies, including national authorities, …
Speech by Minister of Foreign Affairs Jonas Gahr Støre
Pretoria, 24 November 2009
Your Excellencies Minister and Deputy Minister,
Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Pretoria,
Ladies and gentlemen,
It is a great pleasure for me to be addressing you here today. The issues we will discuss are important not only for this region and for Africa, but for the whole international community.
Korab Mula (27) from Albania lost his two arms and injured both legs when he stepped on a mine and then fell on another one in June 2000. With international assistance, he was fitted with conventional prosthetic arms, but they give him problems and he cannot use them which has caused him to feel dejected and depressed. Only with more advanced electronic prostheses, which are not available in Albania, does Korab stand a realistic chance to train up for a job, and even get married.
Sixty-fourth General Assembly
5th & 6th Meetings (AM & PM)
To effectively tackle terrorism, entrenched poverty and the threat of weapons proliferation, a more equitable multilateral system that valued diversity and fostered a "climate of dialogue" was urgently needed, world leaders attending the General Assembly's annual debate stressed today, as they pushed for a more democratic United Nations.
- UNHCR should take stronger leadership in pressing governments to find and implement solutions for stateless persons and urge all countries, including the U.S., to become party and adhere to the statelessness conventions.
- H.E. the Amir of Kuwait and the Parliament should formalize and implement a plan to secure the civil and political rights to which every person is entitled.
Dix ans après l'entrée en vigueur du Traité sur l'interdiction de l'emploi, du stockage, de la production et du transfert des mines antipersonnel et sur leur destruction (Traité d'interdiction des mines antipersonnel), la société civile, les États et l'ONU ont beaucoup fait pour mettre fin aux souffrances causées par les mines terrestres. Plus de 41 millions de ces mines ont été détruites. Des terres ont été déminées et rendues aux communautés.
BUREAU OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Office of the Spokesman
The Phoenix Fund is a social entrepreneurship fund focused on creating economic opportunity in the world's poorest countries. Through seed capital grants and loans, the Phoenix Fund makes strategic investments to implement economic development projects led by local entrepreneurs. These types of unproven and innovative programs often encounter difficulty attracting funds from large foundations and government agencies. Phoenix Fund is a market-driven, business-minded approach to creating sustainable small businesses and open marketplaces that are at the core of any successful community.
Il est essentiel de continuer à renforcer l'arsenal de protection des civils en période de conflit armé, estime le Secrétaire général de l'ONU, Ban Ki-moon, dans un rapport publié mercredi.
L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for more robust measures to protect civilians caught in the middle of armed conflict, noting the "appalling levels of human suffering" endured due to the failure of combatants to fully respect international law.
"Civilians still account for the vast majority of casualties and continue to be targeted and subjected to indiscriminate attacks and other violations by parties to conflict," Mr.
1. Le présent rapport répond à la demande formulée par le Président du Conseil de sécurité dans sa déclaration du 27 mai 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. L'année 2009 marque le dixième anniversaire de l'inclusion de la protection des civils en période de conflit armé parmi les questions thématiques examinées par le Conseil de sécurité. Comme souvent, en tel cas, il y a de quoi se réjouir mais on peut aussi revoir d'un oeil critique les progrès réalisés.
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to the request contained in the statement of the President of the Security Council of 27 May 2008 (S/PRST/2008/18).
2. The year 2009 marks the tenth anniversary of the consideration by the Security Council of the protection of civilians in armed conflict as a thematic issue.
Ten years of the Mine Ban Treaty: A Success Story
On 1 March 2009, the Mine Ban Treaty celebrated the tenth anniversary of its entry into force as international law. The treaty bans all Anti Personnel mines, requires that States destroy stockpiles within four years of becoming a party, requires clearance of Anti Personnel mines already in the ground within 10 years, and urges support to the victims of mines.
By Stuart Maslen, NPA
The treaty has proved a major success in stigmatising Anti Personnel mines.
"We Love Life"
by Anne Stewart, Lennis Echterling, Hasan Hamdan, Dennis Barlow and Suzanne Fiederlein, JMU/MAIC
Hands in hands!
Regardless of color,
Regardless of age,
Whether injured or not,
Regardless of beliefs,
To protect people-all people
La donación española de 29 millones de euros a Gavi Alliance contribuirá a acelerar las iniciativas en materia de vacunación en 72 de los países más pobres del mundo.
Esta mañana se han reunido en la sede de la AECID la Secretaria de Estado de Cooperación Internacional, Soraya Rodríguez y la Directora de la AECID, Elena Madrazo con el Secretario Ejecutivo de GAVI, Dr.
During its May presidency the Russian Federation would continue to pursue the policy of consolidating the Security Council's prerogatives under the United Nations Charter and its main responsibility to maintain international peace and security, Vitaly Churkin, the country's Permanent Representative said today.
Outlining the Council's programme of work for the month ahead, he said that on 11 May, it would hold a meeting on the Middle East, chaired by Sergey Lavrov, Minister for Foreign Affairs and for which the Foreign Ministers of other Council members, as well as the …
International efforts have failed to reduce the scale of internal displacement caused by conflict.
The present report examines the challenges faced by the United Nations and its partners in providing professional mediation assistance to parties in conflict. It describes the need for experienced and knowledgeable mediators and support teams, with women adequately represented, and sufficient resources to provide assistance at an early stage to help parties design and pursue processes that will address the root causes of their conflicts, overcome obstacles that block progress, and achieve agreements that lead to sustainable peace.