Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: Investigate police conduct after deaths of five people protesting ethnic clashes
The fact that civilians accounted for up to 75 per cent of war victims these days had made their protection a very important part of the discussion on international peace and security, Carolyn McAskie, Deputy to the Under-Secretary-General for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator, told a Headquarters press briefing today.
The instruments available for the protection of civilians in armed conflict are "in urgent need of updating," Secretary-General Kofi Annan says in a just released report to the Security Council that recommends new strategies to deal with the changed nature of contemporary wars.
Host countries must be responsible for the security of humanitarian workers and must punish the perpetrators of crimes against humanitarian workers, the Executive Director of the World Food Programme (WFP), Catherine Bertini, told correspondents at a Headquarters press briefing this afternoon.
The Foreign Minister of Argentina, Adalberto Rodriguez Giavarini, addressed correspondents at a Headquarters press conference this afternoon. The Foreign Minister, who in his capacity as Security Council President, was presiding over today's Council meeting on protection of United Nations personnel, associated personnel and humanitarian personnel in conflict zones, was accompanied at the press conference by the Permanent Representative of Argentina to the United Nations, Arnoldo Manuel Listre.