Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 67 | 29 October - 11 November 2018
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 66 | 15 - 28 October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Multi-Sectoral Intervention Vital to Accelerate Reduction of Stunting: Researchers
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
From the editors
In her Foreword to this issue of FMR, the Special Rapporteur on the human rights of internally displaced persons, Cecilia Jimenez-Damary, poses the question: Where do we go from here?
Throughout 2017, the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) supported relief operations in 36 countries to ensure delivery of urgent aid to millions of people in desperate need.
CERF’s 2017 Annual Report, launched today, provides a detailed account of how, during the year, CERF and its partners ensured strategic use of almost $420 million in donor contributions to deliver the highest priority aid, where and when it was need the most.
Threats and violence affecting emergency care
Middle-East and North Africa
Syrian Arab Republic
19 July 2018: In Manjib city and district, Aleppo governorate, a mine exploded near an ambulance carrying patients, slightly injuring the driver and damaging the vehicle. Another mine was later found 25 metres away from the spot. Source: Manbijmc
The Girls’ Education Challenge (GEC) aims to improve the learning opportunities and outcomes for up to one million of the world’s most marginalised girls. Access to a good quality education will give these girls the chance of a better future for themselves, their families and their communities.
These projects were selected through an open and transparent process and assessed for their ability to implement new and effective ways to get girls into school, keep them there and make sure they receive a good quality education in ways which are sustainable beyond the GEC funding.
Global Overview JULY 2018
ECW Annual Results Report: Over 650,000 Children Reached in the Fund’s First Year of Operations
New York, 6 July 2018 – The just-released ECW annual results report shows ECW’s investments have reached more than 650,000 children and youth affected by conflict and natural disasters during the Fund’s first year of operations from April 2017 to March 2018. In total ECW invested US$82 million in 14 crisis-affected countries.
Global Overview JUNE 2018
CERF announces new findings in latest Results Report
Claudia Hargarten June 26, 2018
A new Results Report takes stock of how a US$439 million humanitarian investment from more than 50 donors delivered life-saving assistance to over 22 million people facing the consequences of natural disasters and conflict around the world.
Study points to new ways to reduce conflict in fragile states
A major research project by the UK's Stabilisation Unit explores the vital role of political deal-making in reducing violent conflict.
The Elite Bargains and Political Deals research indicates that greater focus on the politics of conflicts, and those who control power and resources on the ground, is crucial to reducing violence.
The Minister for the Middle East and for International Development Alistair Burt said:
Global Overview MAY 2018
A global fund that provides rapid humanitarian aid for overlooked crises, is marking the second anniversary of the World Humanitarian Summit by sharing the impact of its 4th year, through its new annual report released today.
The Start Fund fills a critical gap in humanitarian financing. It pools funding from donors for immediate release for underfunded small to medium scale crises, spikes in chronic humanitarian crises, and to act in anticipation of impending crises.
Here is a selection of the latest evidence on violence against women and girls (VAWG):
ENGAGING MEN AS FATHERS
The impact of engaging fathers on Intimate Partner Violence:
Global Overview APRIL 2018
• In Q1-2018, the FAO cereal price index rose by 8.6 percent from Q1-2017, while the global food price index declined by 2 percent year-on-year.
• The real price for wheat was 22 percent above Q1-2017 levels: crops suffered dryness in the United States and cold weather in Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States, leaving production forecasts open to a downward revision.3 World ending stocks remain at record levels.
For the second year running we include a special section that shares key outputs of Action Against Hunger's Research for Nutrition Conference held in November 2016. Elsewhere, experiences are shared including:
•scale up of integrated management of acute malnutrition in Afghanistan
•health systems strengthening in Somalia
•treating acute malnutrition in older people in Ethiopia
•UNHCR experiences of programme monitoring in unstable populations
Global Overview MARCH 2018
Estimaciones globales sobre la inseguridad alimentaria aguda en 2017
• Alrededor de 124 millones de personas en 51 países se enfrentan a una situación de Crisis de inseguridad alimentaria o peor (equivalente o superior a la fase 3 del IPC/CH) y requieren una acción humanitaria urgente para salvar vidas, proteger los medios de vida y reducir los niveles de hambre y desnutrición aguda.
Estimations mondiales de l’insécurité alimentaire aiguë en 2017
• Environ 124 millions de personnes vivant dans 51 pays sont en situation d’insécurité alimentaire de Crise ou pire (Phase 3 ou pire de l’IPC ou du CH ou équivalent) et requièrent une action humanitaire urgente afin de sauver des vies, protéger les moyens d’existence et réduire les déficits de consommation alimentaire et la malnutrition aiguë.