Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia: Investigate police conduct after deaths of five people protesting ethnic clashes
- WFP Ethiopia: Food and Nutrition Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in East and West Hararghe zones - September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
This price watch bulletin covers the quarterly period from September to November 2008. The objective of the bulletin is to provide early warning information on price changes of staple food commodities and their likely impact on the cost of the food basket. Price changes are determined for each country on a quarterly basis.
- Prices still remain significantly higher compared to last year and long term averages, especially in Eastern and Southern Africa, Asia and Middle East.
In Kabul, Laghman, and Nangahar, 763 families received packages of fresh Udhiyah meat.
Over 10,000 pounds of fresh meat was distributed to 2,300 poor Iraqi families, as well as a number of orphans, in the provinces of Baghdad, Anbar, Diyala, and Mosul.
Udhiyah meat was distributed to 580 families living in Palestinian refugee camps and isolated rural villages.
In the governorates of Tripoli and Sidon LIFE distributed Udhiyah meat to 130 needy families.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) releases 11th annual list
MSF and MSF podcasts: New York, Massive forced civilian displacements, violence, and unmet medical needs in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Somalia, Iraq, Sudan, and Pakistan, along with neglected medical emergencies in Myanmar and Zimbabwe, are some of the worst humanitarian and medical emergencies in the world, the international medical humanitarian organization Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) reported today in its annual list of the "Top …
Each week, the World Health Organization Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on critical health-related activities in countries where there are humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and headquarters. The mandate of the WHO departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery.
Highlights of a new FAO report
- As the year draws to a close, FAO's latest estimates confirm that a new record high level of global cereal production was achieved in 2008, sufficient to cover the expected increase in utilization in 2008/09 and also allow for a moderate replenishment of world reserves.
- Most of the increase in production this year has been among the developed countries, with that in the developing countries rising just marginally.
JOHANNESBOURG, 18 décembre 2008 (IRIN) - Le prix élevé des vivres et l'instabilité persistante des marchés vont inciter le Programme alimentaire mondial (PAM) des Nations Unies à faire appel de plus en plus à des bailleurs hors norme, tels que la Chine ou le monde des entreprises, pour obtenir des fonds, l'agence ayant prévenu qu'elle aurait épuisé, d'ici à mars 2009, les fonds qui lui servent à nourrir des millions d'affamés aux points chauds de la faim à travers la planète.
Christopher Barrett, éminent expert de l'aide alimentaire qui enseigne l'économie du …
JOHANNESBURG, 17 December 2008 (IRIN) - High food prices and continued market volatility will increasingly make the UN World Food Programme (WFP) tap non-traditional donors like China and the corporate world for funds, as it warned that it would run out of cash by March 2009 to feed millions in hunger hotspots across the globe.
Christopher Barrett, a leading food aid expert who teaches development economics at Cornell University, New York, warned that the world should not forget the need to pull the poor out of the poverty trap; which the global food and fuel price crisis has made all …
Sixty-third General Assembly
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today urged countries to step up and allocate to urgent hunger needs a fraction of what is proposed for financial rescue packages to address the global economic downturn.
"We need to send a bold signal of hope to the world with a human rescue package," said Josette Sheeran, Executive Director of the World Food Programme, speaking from New Delhi during her first visit to India, the country with the single largest population of undernourished people in the world.
Rome - Le Programme alimentaire mondial des Nations Unies (PAM) lance un appel urgent à la communauté internationale pour faire un pas en avant et affecter à la lutte contre la faim, une fraction des sommes proposées pour les plans de sauvetage de l'économie.
« Nous devons envoyer un message d'espoir avec un plan de sauvetage humain » a déclaré Josette Sheeran, Directrice Exécutive du PAM, depuis New Dehli où elle effectuait son premier voyage en Inde, le pays qui compte le plus de personnes sous-alimentées au monde. « Alors que nous nous occupons de Wall Street et de 'Main …
1.1 The Public Service Agreement (PSA) framework has changed for the period 2008-11. Thirty PSAs now reflect a collective set of the UK government's priorities.
1.2 The Department for International Development (DFID) is the lead department on PSA 29: Reduce poverty in poorer countries through quicker progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
by Gu Zhenqiu
UNITED NATIONS, Dec 11, 2008 (Xinhua via COMTEX News Network) -- UN staff members from Algiers and New York gathered here Thursday to pay tribute to 17 of their colleagues, who were killed in the terrorist attacks in Algiers, on the first anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the UN Headquarters in the Algerian capital.
The UN staff members, who were from Algeria, Denmark, the Philippines and Senegal, were killed while working for various UN agencies to render humanitarian relief to the Algerian people in need.
"One year after the attack, we still feel the …
Le bilan s'est alourdi du fait des prix élevés des denrées alimentaires et la crise économique ne présage rien de bon
9 décembre 2008, Rome - Quarante millions de personnes supplémentaires ont rejoint cette année les rangs des sous-alimentés de la planète du fait principalement de la hausse des prix des denrées alimentaires, selon les estimations préliminaires de la FAO. Cela porte le nombre d'affamés dans le monde à 963 millions, contre 923 millions en 2007.
High food prices to blame - economic crisis could compound woes
9 December 2008, Rome - Another 40 million people have been pushed into hunger this year primarily due to higher food prices, according to preliminary estimates published by FAO today.
The Portfolio of Mine Action Projects 2009 provides a snapshot of the problems of landmines and explosive remnants of war (ERW) in 33 countries, territories and peacekeeping missions, and describes the strategies for eliminating each of these threats.
This 12th edition of the annual portfolio is a collection of mine action project proposals that reflect a strategic response by field-based partners to the landmine and ERW problems in specific countries or territories.
Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,
Welcome to all of you gathered here today for the Humanitarian Appeal 2009, and a particularly warm welcome to my fellow speakers today, Hilde Johnson, Deputy Executive Director of the United Nations Children's Fund, Elisabeth Rasmusson, Secretary-General of the Norwegian Refugee Council, and Aeneas Chuma, who is the UN Resident Coordinator and Humanitarian Coordinator in Kenya.
We are here to ask for a response to the urgent call of 30 million people across 31 countries …
Rome, 19 November 2008 - Facts, figures and the latest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- As part ofthe July GoA/UN joint appeal intervention, WFP has begun food delivery to high food price and drought affected people in the Eastern and Northern region. Under this programme, 4.5 million people will benefit from 198,000 mt of WFP food assistance both in rural and urban areas in most parts of the country.
Asia and the Pacific
Problem Statement/Context: The Asia Pacific region has an emergency profile characterized by a combination of natural disasters, civil/political unrest with pockets of conflict situations, and recent emerging new global threats such as high food and fuel prices crisis, the threat of pandemic influenza and other emerging diseases.
Rome, 5 November 2008 - Facts, figures and the lastest updates from WFP's high profile emergencies.
- As part of July GoA/UN joint appeal intervention, WFP is implementing projects on high food price mitigation targeting 6,500 vulnerable people through food for work activities in the eastern region; plans are underway to begin similar activities in most parts of the country.
- WFP continues to provide monthly food rations of 2,147 Kcal per person per day to some 4,500 people infected and/or affected by HIV/AIDS in Moundou, southern Chad.