Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Multi-Sectoral Intervention Vital to Accelerate Reduction of Stunting: Researchers
- Mai-Aini Refugee Camp - Camp Profile Shire 31 October 2018
- Hitsats Refugee Camp - Camp Profile Shire 31 October 2018
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 66 | 15-28 October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
This price watch bulletin covers the quarterly period from September to November 2008. The objective of the bulletin is to provide early warning information on price changes of staple food commodities and their likely impact on the cost of the food basket. Price changes are determined for each country on a quarterly basis.
- Prices still remain significantly higher compared to last year and long term averages, especially in Eastern and Southern Africa, Asia and Middle East.
Highlights of a new FAO report
- As the year draws to a close, FAO's latest estimates confirm that a new record high level of global cereal production was achieved in 2008, sufficient to cover the expected increase in utilization in 2008/09 and also allow for a moderate replenishment of world reserves.
- Most of the increase in production this year has been among the developed countries, with that in the developing countries rising just marginally.
Asia and the Pacific
Problem Statement/Context: The Asia Pacific region has an emergency profile characterized by a combination of natural disasters, civil/political unrest with pockets of conflict situations, and recent emerging new global threats such as high food and fuel prices crisis, the threat of pandemic influenza and other emerging diseases.
Statelessness, or the lack of effective nationality, impacts the daily lives of some 11-12 million people around the world. Perhaps those who suffer most are stateless infants, children and youth. Though born and raised in their parents' country of habitual residence, they lack formal recognition of their existence. A few key steps taken by individual countries and UN agencies can help reduce statelessness among infants and children and prevent millions of youth from growing up isolated from society.
The recent sharp increase in food prices should have benefited millions of poor people who make their living from agriculture. However, decades of misguided policies by developing country governments on agriculture, trade, and domestic markets - often promoted by international financial institutions and supported by donor countries - have prevented poor farmers and rural workers from reaping the benefits of higher commodity prices. As a result, the crisis is hurting poor producers and consumers alike, threatening to reverse recent progress on poverty reduction in many countries.
- World cereal production in 2008 is forecast to increase 4.9 percent to a record 2 232 million tonnes, considerably up from earlier predictions after better than expected results from the major harvests gathered in the past two months.
- Based on the latest production forecast, a significant improvement in the global supply and demand balance for cereals in the 2008/09 season can be expected.
Note: The map included a table showing the number of primary-aged children out of school. Map production date estimated.
Le Groupe de la Banque mondiale a lancé un mécanisme de financement rapide doté de 1,2 milliard de dollars - le Programme d'intervention en réponse à la crise alimentaire mondiale (GFRP) - afin d'accélérer les apports d'aide aux pays qui en ont le plus besoin. Le GFRP a approuvé et commencé à décaisser, en date du 26 septembre 2008, 152 millions de dollars pour des projets dans 18 pays. Un projet de 36 millions est en cours d'approbation. 393 millions de dollars supplémentaires sont en cours d'affectation pour des programmes dans 12 autres pays.
What the World Bank is Doing
The World Bank Group created a new $1.2 billion rapid financing facility-the Global Food Response Program (GFRP)-in May 2008 to speed assistance to the neediest countries. GFRP has approved and begun disbursing $152 million in 18 countries as of September 26, 2008. One project totaling $36 million is pending approval.
USG Holmes visits two top CERF-funded countries: Afghanistan and Myanmar
Mr. John Holmes, the Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Emergency Relief Coordinator (ERC), made recent visits to Afghanistan and Myanmar to monitor the progress of relief efforts in both countries.
Following a three-day trip to Myanmar, Mr Holmes noted clear signs of progress but cautioned against complacency.
The UN system has rapidly taken note of the seriousness of the challenges to world food security by the recent dramatic escalation of the food price crisis worldwide and recognized the need for Comprehensive Framework for Action (CFA) to address the crisis and its root causes.
The UN System has mobilized to provide a common response to the crisis that takes into account the comparative advantages of all stakeholders.
In its resolution 60/124 of December 2005, the General Assembly of the United Nations sought to remedy two problems that had bedevilled UN efforts to deliver humanitarian assistance in a timely and effective manner.
Funding Trends and Their Impact on Operations
Analysis of the 2008 Programme of Work
As of July 2008, WFP requires 5 million metric tonnes for the current year to meet the needs of over 83 million beneficiaries among the world's neediest people in more than 80 countries.
COMORAS: Moussa Toybou se convierte en nuevo presidente de la isla de Anjouan, según los datos provisionales de las elecciones celebradas el 29 de junio, que deberán ser validados por el Tribunal Constitucional. Toybou obtuvo el 52,37% de los votos en la segunda vuelta, con una participación del 48'98%. Su elección pone fin a la crisis vinculada a su contestado predecesor, Mohamed Bacar, que fue destituido en marzo pasado luego de una intervención conjunta de las FFAA federales y tropas de la UA.
All agricultural commodities covered in this report are of critical importance to global food and feed markets. They constitute much of the world's food consumption, generate income to farmers and represent the largest portion of food import expenditures across the world.
In 2007, natural and man-made disasters continued to take a toll on the lives of people.
Sixty-second General Assembly
109th Meeting (PM)
Resolution on Global Forum on Migration and Development Also Adopted
Acting on the recommendations of its Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary), the General Assembly today approved an appropriation of almost $7.08 billion for the financing of United Nations peacekeeping for the financial period running from 1 July 2008 to 30 June 2009.
Sixty-second General Assembly