Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia: Investigate police conduct after deaths of five people protesting ethnic clashes
- WFP Ethiopia: Food and Nutrition Assistance to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in East and West Hararghe zones - September 2018
- Ethiopia - New episode of ethnic violence (DG ECHO, media) (ECHO Daily Flash of 19 September 2018)
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 63 | 3 - 16 September 2018
While donors had responded "remarkably generously" to United Nations consolidated appeals for emergency aid, they had nevertheless provided less than half of what was required this year to address the needs of people facing severe humanitarian crises around the world, the top United Nations relief official said today.
During a press conference at Headquarters today, John Holmes, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, announced that the $4.6 billion collected in response to the mid-year review of the consolidated appeals this past July was the highest amount ever, in …
Les besoins d'aide humanitaire sont en augmentation dans les zones de conflit comme dans les zones sans conflit, a prévenu le Secrétaire général aux affaires humanitaires et Coordonnateur des secours d'urgence.
John Holmes, United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, briefed journalists this afternoon in Geneva following a mid-year review conference with Member States on the status of the 2009 consolidated humanitarian appeals. Mr. Holmes was joined by Gregory Starr, Under-Secretary-General for Safety and Security and Misikir Tilahun, the Head of Programmes for the non-governmental organization Africa Humanitarian Action, who also responded to questions.
Overview Of Status of 2009 Consolidated Appeal
At a Headquarters press briefing today, Carolyn M. McAskie, Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), announced the launch of the Inter-agency Consolidated Appeals for 2003. Being held in capitals around the world, the Appeals are $3 billion for 50 million beneficiaries in countries experiencing humanitarian crises.
A Consolidated Inter-Agency Appeal for $2.5 billion to sustain more than 33 million people -- many suffering from war and conflict -- will be launched by Secretary-General Kofi Annan at 11 a.m. on Monday 26 November at Headquarters, it was announced at a press briefing this afternoon.
The fact that civilians accounted for up to 75 per cent of war victims these days had made their protection a very important part of the discussion on international peace and security, Carolyn McAskie, Deputy to the Under-Secretary-General for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator, told a Headquarters press briefing today.
The instruments available for the protection of civilians in armed conflict are "in urgent need of updating," Secretary-General Kofi Annan says in a just released report to the Security Council that recommends new strategies to deal with the changed nature of contemporary wars.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has received pledges totalling $214.7 million towards the $953.7 million it requested in a global appeal for 2001, launched today in Geneva.
Africa's refugee population has reached 3 million persons, and 6 million more have been displaced, an official of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said at a Headquarters press briefing today marking Africa Refugee Day.