Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 67 | 29 October - 11 November 2018
- Ethiopia Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 66 | 15 - 28 October 2018
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Multi-Sectoral Intervention Vital to Accelerate Reduction of Stunting: Researchers
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
It is estimated that more than two-thirds of the population in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) must leave their home to collect water, putting them at risk for a variety of negative health outcomes. There is little research, however, quantifying who is most affected by long water collection times.
Torrential rains impacted coastal Cote D’Ivoire during the past week.
An increase in rain was observed across dry areas in northwestern Ethiopia and southeastern Sudan
1) Heavy and above-average rains since May have oversaturated the grounds of southern Mali and lead to rainfall surpluses greater than 200% of normal in some locations. With heavy rain forecast during the next outlook period, the risk for new flooding across the region will be increased.
Figures and graphics available in PDF and WORD PROCESSED
Development Committee of the European Parliament
1 September 2009, European Parliament, Brussels
Honourable members of Parliament,
It is a real pleasure for me to be in the European Parliament today as Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid.
As you probably know I spent some 14 years of my political career in this institution.
Según el Barómetro 8, que publica trimestralmente la Unidad de Alerta de la Escola de Cultura de Pau de la UAB, más de la mitad de los conflictos armados que se deterioraron en el último trimestre se concentraron en África, concretamente en Côte d'Ivoire, RD Congo, Somalia, Sudán y Uganda. Además, en el mismo continente también se agudizaron notablemente las tensiones que atraviesan Etiopía, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Togo, Zimbabwe y la subregión del Río Mano y prosiguieron su curso, mayoritariamente con dificultades, 12 procesos de negociación.
Agnes van Ardenne, Minister for Development Cooperation, is donating 9 million euros to the UN to alleviate the food crisis in Africa. Of this sum, 5 million will go to the Horn of Africa, 3 million to Southern Africa and 1 million to West Africa. 40 million Africans are threatened by famine. Ethiopia has been worst hit by food shortages and faces widespread starvation.
UNITED NATIONS, New York, 23 January 2003 - Responding to the deadly interaction between HIV/AIDS and food crises affecting some 40 million Africans, UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is organizing three regional meetings to help ensure that relief efforts address both issues in an integrated manner.
This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Peter Kessler - to whom quoted text may be attributed - at the press briefing, on 11 October 2002, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.