Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- Ethiopia: Renewed influx of Eritrean refugees, 12th September to 13th October 2018
- Mass Arrests, ‘Brainwashing’ Threaten Ethiopia’s Reform Agenda
- Ethiopia – Eritrean Refugee Influx (DG ECHO, UNHCR, NRC) (ECHO Daily Flash of 26 September 2018)
- Ethiopia: The 2018 HDRP is facing a US$416.4 million funding shortfall to cover needs until the end of the year
- Change and Continuity in Protests and Political Violence PM Abiy’s Ethiopia
Authors Pearl-Martinez, Rebecca Publication date 13 Oct 2017 DOI 10.21201/2017.0889 ISBN 978-1-78748-088-9
WOMEN, FOOD AND CLIMATE CHANGE
Smallholder farmers, and particularly women, are on the frontline in the fight against hunger and climate change in southern Africa. Unequal access to resources, poor access to finance and limited linkages to markets to sell their produce impose critical constraints, and food insecurity and poverty are the direct outcomes of this failure. In countries such as Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique, between a quarter and half of the population are classified as being chronically undernourished.
New York - Millions were thrown a lifeline at a special session at the United Nations yesterday, when world leaders unveiled a plan for free health care in poor countries.
Speaking at a high level event at the United Nations, UK Premier Gordon Brown announced support for free health services in Nepal, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Malawi and Burundi.
In Africa, millions of lives are being threatened by wars that have driven people from their homes and ruined their livelihoods. However, peace could be attained by an immediate increase in international humanitarian assistance and a long-term political commitment to uphold peace agreements.