Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read reports
- UNICEF Ethiopia Humanitarian Situation Report #8 – Reporting Period: August 2018
- Ethiopia: Some 1,786 Displaced Persons Return Home
- Ethiopia: West Guji Zone - Ongoing Humanitarian Activities Overview (as of 15 Sep 2018)
- ‘Wind of hope’ blowing through Horn of Africa says UN chief, as Ethiopia and Eritrea sign historic peace accord
- Ethiopia Key Message Update, September 2018
During its May presidency the Russian Federation would continue to pursue the policy of consolidating the Security Council's prerogatives under the United Nations Charter and its main responsibility to maintain international peace and security, Vitaly Churkin, the country's Permanent Representative said today.
Outlining the Council's programme of work for the month ahead, he said that on 11 May, it would hold a meeting on the Middle East, chaired by Sergey Lavrov, Minister for Foreign Affairs and for which the Foreign Ministers of other Council members, as well as the …
Unfortunately, and as usual, January would be an Arab-African month in the Security Council, Giadalla A. Ettalhi ( Libya), the 15-member organ's incoming President, said at a Headquarters press conference today.
Briefing the media on the Council's provisional work programme for January, he said some 75 per cent of it was devoted to Arab and African issues. However, it was not an exclusive programme of work and the Council could tackle other matters if necessary.
France's Permanent Representative to the United Nations and Security Council President for the month of January, Jean-Marc de La Sabliere, briefed correspondents this afternoon on the Council's provisional programme of work for the month.
The fact that civilians accounted for up to 75 per cent of war victims these days had made their protection a very important part of the discussion on international peace and security, Carolyn McAskie, Deputy to the Under-Secretary-General for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator, told a Headquarters press briefing today.
The instruments available for the protection of civilians in armed conflict are "in urgent need of updating," Secretary-General Kofi Annan says in a just released report to the Security Council that recommends new strategies to deal with the changed nature of contemporary wars.
Host countries must be responsible for the security of humanitarian workers and must punish the perpetrators of crimes against humanitarian workers, the Executive Director of the World Food Programme (WFP), Catherine Bertini, told correspondents at a Headquarters press briefing this afternoon.
The Foreign Minister of Argentina, Adalberto Rodriguez Giavarini, addressed correspondents at a Headquarters press conference this afternoon. The Foreign Minister, who in his capacity as Security Council President, was presiding over today's Council meeting on protection of United Nations personnel, associated personnel and humanitarian personnel in conflict zones, was accompanied at the press conference by the Permanent Representative of Argentina to the United Nations, Arnoldo Manuel Listre.