Appeals & Response Plans
- Tropical Cyclone Sagar - May 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods and Landslides - Apr 2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Aug 2017
- Ethiopia: Measles Outbreak - May 2017
- East Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- Ethiopia: Acute Watery Diarrhoea (AWD) Outbreak - May 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Apr 2016
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Ethiopia: Drought - 2015-2018
- Ethiopia: Floods - Oct 2014
Most read (last 30 days)
- Humanitarian Situation Worsens as Over 800,000 Displaced People Face Cold and Heavy Rains in Ethiopia
- Violence driving dire displacement crisis as rainy seasons set in
- UN’s Emergency Fund Releases US$15 Million for Lifesaving Assistance to Displaced People in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia: Escalating inter-communal violence displaces close to 1M people
- Benefits of Peace Come Into Focus for Ethiopia, Eritrea
UNICEF and UNAIDS launch report on ending adolescent AIDS in Eastern and Southern Africa
Report details huge strides made in adolescent programming in Eastern and Southern Africa
23 July 2018—Today the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the United Nations Joint Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) launched a report titled All In, in Eastern and Southern Africa: Catalysing the HIV response for adolescents.
Addis Ababa July 22/2018 The improved controlling system that Ethiopia has been implementing over the past years has helped to significantly reduce proliferation of malaria, the Ministry of Health said.
More than 75 percent of the total area of Ethiopia is malarious and over 63 million people live in these areas, making malaria the leading public health problem in Ethiopia.
Benshangul Gumuz, Gambela, Tigray and Amhara regional states are among the regions with the highest proliferation of the disease.
Ethiopia: Addressing the needs of vulnerable communities in 2018
In 2018, the ICRC has continued to address the needs of vulnerable groups and individuals in Ethiopia by partnering with national bodies in order to do so as effectively as possible. We visited thousands of detainees in federal and regional prisons to assess their living conditions and ensure that they are treated humanely.
Updates on achievements
Over 819,000 Somalis are living outside their county as asylum-seekers and refugees. The majority (767,500) live in neighbouring countries of Ethiopia (256,000), Kenya (255,500) and Yemen (256,000). UNHCR strives to find durable solutions for Somali refugees to enable them to rebuild their lives either in the country of asylum, resettle to a third country or by supporting voluntary return. So far, UNHCR has assisted 83,669 refugees to return to Somalia in safety and dignity from nine different countries of asylum.
Addis Ababa July 21/2018 The Ethio-Eritrea peace deal has demonstrated the commitment of leadership the world needs to demolish walls and build bridges among communities and nations, the Outgoing UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator to Ethiopia Eziakonwa-Onochie said.
The historic agreement came to reality following the pledge of the newly appointed Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to end the two decades stalemate between the two nations in his inaugural speech in April.
4 communal shelters constructed of a planned 40 in Gedeo zone
189 latrines constructed of a target 450
Zonal level assessments completed in in Gedeo and West Guji zone Gedeo and West Guji zones