Most read reports
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Security Council Adopts Resolution 2440 (2018), Authorizing Six-Month Extension for United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
• In September, as part of the General Food Assistance, WFP distributed 125,000 rations consisting of 8 kg wheat flour, 2 kg rice, 1 kg pasta, 2 kg yellow split peas, 1kg CSB, 1kg sugar, 1litre of fortified vegetable oil. The ration was complemented with 1 kg of gofio (roasted maize meal), which is part of an in-kind donation from the Spanish region of Gran Canaria. The food basket reached a daily energy intake of 2,208 kcal/person, higher than the planned 2,100 kcal per day due to the inclusion of an additional commodity.
- 2,264 mt of food assistance distributed
- 2,228 kcal/person/day provided through the food basket
- US$ 5.3 m six months (September 2018 - February 2019) net funding requirements
- 125,000 people assisted in August 2018
1,762,314 mt of food assistance distributed
1,753 kcal/person/day provided through the food basket
US$ 5.2 m six months (August 2018 - January 2019) net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in July 2018
Global Overview JULY 2018
125,000 General food rations distributed
2,270 kcal per ration per day reached in June
13,736 boys and girls received products to treat and prevent malnutrition
USD 4.3 m six-month (July-December 2018)
WFP net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in June 2018
ALGIERS – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) received a contribution of dates from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia worth US$1.5 million to support refugees residing in camps in Algeria.
For several years, Saudi Arabia has donated dates – which enhance the nutritional value of WFP food assistance – for distribution in refugee camps in Algeria. The most recent contribution of more than 700 metric tons is three times larger than contributions made in previous years, and comes at a critical time when monthly food assistance has been reduced.
Algeria has been hosting refugees from Western Sahara since 1975. These refugees are in camps in the harsh, isolated desert environment.
Algeria has been hosting refugees from Western Sahara since 1975. These refugees are in camps in the harsh, isolated desert environment of western Algeria, where opportunities for self-reliance are limited, forcing them to depend on humanitarian assistance for their survival.
Global Overview MAY 2018
Poor funding continued to affect WFP’s regular activities. Mid-morning snacks for children in schools and kindergarten only consisted of only half a glass of milk (40 g), without biscuits.
WFP Algeria thanks ECHO for their recent contribution which will continue WFP’ life-saving food assistance to the Sahrawi refugees in Algeria.
Civilians were majority of casualties from anti-vehicle mines in 2017
The Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) and the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) have released a new global report of anti-vehicle mine incidents in 2017. The report records a 15 per cent increase in casualties from anti-vehicle mines in 2017, compared to 2016.
DTM flow monitoring data compiled from national authorities and IOM offices show that the number of arrivals through Mediterranean routes between January and March 2018 is half the number of arrivals in the same period in 2017. In the first quarter of 2018 a total of 1,956 migrants and asylum seekers arrived in Europe using different land and sea routes, in comparison to 34,531 registered in the first quarter of 2017. As previously reported, the decrease is mainly due to the drop in arrivals in Italy.
Global Overview APRIL 2018
Esto dijo a la Agencia de Prensa IPC la presidenta de la asociación humanitaria Doctora Beituha, que apoya a mujeres saharauis afectadas por el conflicto entre Sahara Occidental y Marruecos.
“Tiene que haber una unión entre todas las mujeres, en todos los territorios de Colombia, que se coordinen entre ellas y que lleven a cabo actividades de sensibilización para que no se vuelva a la guerra”. De esa forma lo expresó Raabub Mohamed Lamin, sobreviviente de la guerra entre Sahara y Marruecos, y presidenta de la asociación humanitaria Doctora Beituha.
Peru will have the presidency in April. It has chosen to hold a high-level briefing on peacebuilding and sustaining peace which is planned to coincide with the 24-25 April General Assembly high-level event on this issue. Secretary-General António Guterres and the Chair of the PBC, Ambassador Ion Jinga (Romania), are expected to brief.
There will be three open debates this month.
12,736 TOTAL ARRIVALS TO EUROPE IN 2018 10,566 ARRIVALS BY SEA IN 2018 2,170 ARRIVALS BY LAND IN 2017 20,200 ARRIVALS TO EUROPE BY THE END OF FEBRUARY 2017