Most read reports
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- Western Sahara: MINURSO, September 2018
- Secretary-General Welcomes Decision by Morocco, Frente POLISARIO, Algeria, Mauritania to Participate in Meeting on Western Sahara
2251.17 mt of food assistance distributed
2,333 kcal/person/day provided through the general food basket
US$ 3 m six months (February-July 2019) net funding requirements
125 000 people assisted in December 2018
2,112 mt of food assistance distributed
2,238 kcal/person/day provided through the general food basket
US$ 2.5 m six months (December-May 2018) net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in November 2018
2349,424 mt of food assistance distributed
2,225 kcal/person/day provided through the general food basket
US$ 5.5 m six months (December 2018 – May 2019) net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in October 2018
• In September, as part of the General Food Assistance, WFP distributed 125,000 rations consisting of 8 kg wheat flour, 2 kg rice, 1 kg pasta, 2 kg yellow split peas, 1kg CSB, 1kg sugar, 1litre of fortified vegetable oil. The ration was complemented with 1 kg of gofio (roasted maize meal), which is part of an in-kind donation from the Spanish region of Gran Canaria. The food basket reached a daily energy intake of 2,208 kcal/person, higher than the planned 2,100 kcal per day due to the inclusion of an additional commodity.
Una delegación de personal técnico de la Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo (AECID) visitó la semana pasada los campos de refugiados saharauis en Tinduf para conocer de primera mano su situación
La misión llevó a cabo una valoración de posibles nuevos ámbitos de actuación más allá de los estrictamente humanitarios
- 2,264 mt of food assistance distributed
- 2,228 kcal/person/day provided through the food basket
- US$ 5.3 m six months (September 2018 - February 2019) net funding requirements
- 125,000 people assisted in August 2018
1,762,314 mt of food assistance distributed
1,753 kcal/person/day provided through the food basket
US$ 5.2 m six months (August 2018 - January 2019) net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in July 2018
FACTS & FIGURES
Around 174 000 refugees (UNHCR) 90 000 vulnerable refugees targeted by the EU humanitarian assistance
5 camps in the south-west of the Algerian desert
Total EU humanitarian funding: €240 million since 1993
125,000 General food rations distributed
2,270 kcal per ration per day reached in June
13,736 boys and girls received products to treat and prevent malnutrition
USD 4.3 m six-month (July-December 2018)
WFP net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in June 2018
Algeria has been hosting refugees from Western Sahara since 1975. These refugees are in camps in the harsh, isolated desert environment.
Algeria has been hosting refugees from Western Sahara since 1975. These refugees are in camps in the harsh, isolated desert environment of western Algeria, where opportunities for self-reliance are limited, forcing them to depend on humanitarian assistance for their survival.
As a leading global humanitarian donor, the European Union is at the forefront of identifying and intervening in crises that have escaped international attention. These so-called 'forgotten crises' have persisted, yet despite significant humanitarian needs they receive insufficient international aid.
Poor funding continued to affect WFP’s regular activities. Mid-morning snacks for children in schools and kindergarten only consisted of only half a glass of milk (40 g), without biscuits.
WFP Algeria thanks ECHO for their recent contribution which will continue WFP’ life-saving food assistance to the Sahrawi refugees in Algeria.
• WFP and UNHCR organized advocacy events “Together Against Violence” for youth and women as part of the 16 days of activism.
• No funding forecasts or projections have been committed for 2018.
• Starting January 2018, there will be no specialized nutritious foods (SNF) will be available for the treatment and prevention of moderate acute malnutrition and anaemia in children, and pregnant and nursing women.
• High Energy Biscuits are in short supply due to funding shortfalls
Thanks to generous donor contributions, WFP Algeria foresees the distribution of complete rations until year-end.
No funding forecasts or projections have been committed for 2018. To avoid funding constraints hindering life-saving assistance, as in early 2017, WFP Algeria must secure additional funding in the coming months (USD 5 million for the first three months of 2018).
Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme
Overview on UNHCR’s operations in the Middle East and North Africa
A. Situational context including new developments
WFP Algeria received almost USD 10 million in the last weeks. Thanks to these contributions, WFP will be able to distribute full rations until the end of 2017. The funding shortfall remains at around USD 2.1 million, excluding funding needs for complementary activities like hydroponics.
WFP’s advance financing (IRA, IPL) allowed food distribution to continue in the first half of 2017. Even after the recent contributions, USD 1.6 million still need to be reimbursed until end of 2017.