Most read reports
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Quatrième Commission: l’Algérie et le Maroc échangent leur point de vue sur le Sahara occidental
- Quatrième Commission: une lueur d’espoir se profile avec l’initiative des pourparlers de décembre de l’Envoyé spécial pour le Sahara occidental
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
Addis Ababa, 24 June 2018: As part of his consultative missions in the region, as well as the preparation of the African Union Summit scheduled in Nouakchott on 1 and 2 July, the Chairperson of the Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, travelled to Tindouf, to meet with the authorities of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, from 19 to 21 June 2018. He was received by President Brahim Ghali, with whom he had an in-depth exchange of views. He also met with Foreign Minister Mohamed Salem Ould Salek.
COMMUNIQUÉ Le Conseil de paix et de sécurité de l'Union africaine (UA), en sa 668ème réunion tenue le 20 mars 2017, a adopté la décision qui suit sur la situation au Sahara occidental:
The Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU), at its 668th meeting held on 20 March 2017, adopted the following decision on the situation in Western Sahara:
Le Conseil de paix et de sécurité (CPS) de l'Union africaine (UA), en sa 588ème réunion tenue le 6 avril 2016, a adopté la décision qui suit sur la situation au Sahara occidental:
The Peace and Security Council (PSC) of the African Union (AU), at its 588 th meeting held on 6 April 2016, adopted the following decision on the situation in Western Sahara:
Saharawi Republic – 29 February 2016: The call for the decolonization, liberation and independence of Africa’s last remaining colony was increasingly re-echoed in Western Sahara and around the world, when the Saharawi people celebrated the 40th anniversary of the proclamation of the Saharawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) on 27 February, 2016.
The Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU), at its 575th meeting, held on 11 February 2016, in Addis Ababa, dedicated an open session to the theme: natural resources and conflicts in Africa. Council listened to a presentation by the Oxfam Representative to the AU, as well as statements from AU Members, international partners, specialized institutions and civil society organizations.
Le Conseil de paix et de sécurité de l'Union africaine (UA), en sa 575ème réunion, tenue le 11 février 2016, à Addis-Abeba, a consacré une séance publique au thème: "les ressources naturelles et les conflits en Afrique’’. Le Conseil a suivi une présentation faite par le Représentant d'Oxfam auprès de l'UA, ainsi que des déclarations des représentants des Etats membres de l'UA, des partenaires internationaux, des institutions spécialisées et des organisations de la société civile.
Le Conseil de Paix et de sécurité (CPS) de l'Union africaine (UA), à sa 558ème réunion tenue le 19 Novembre 2015, a tenu une session publique, consacrée au thème: «L'impact d’El Nino sur la paix, la sécurité et la stabilité en Afrique et les conséquences humanitaires ».
The Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU), at its 547th meeting held on 26 September 2015, at the level of Heads of State and Government, adopted the following decision on the situation in Western Sahara:
Takes note of the briefing by the Commission on the situation in Western Sahara;
Recalls its earlier pronouncements on the situation in Western Sahara, namely communiqué PSC/PR/COMM/1.(CDXCVI) and press statement PSC/PR/COMM.2(DII) adopted at its 496th and 503rd meetings held on 27 March and 30 April 2015, respectively;
The Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU), at its 503rd meeting held on 30 April 2015, was briefed by the Commissioner for Peace and Security on the follow-up to communiqué PSC/PR/COMM/1.(CDXCVI) on the situation in Western Sahara adopted at its 496th meeting held on 27 March 2015.
- This report is submitted in pursuance of the relevant decisions of both the Executive Council and the Assembly of the Union, requesting me to pursue my efforts with respect to the search for a solution to the conflict in Western Sahara and to provide regular updates on the evolution of the situation.
PEACE AND SECURITY COUNCIL
ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
The Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU), at its 496th meeting held on 27 March 2015, adopted the following decision on the situation in Western Sahara:
Addis Abéba, le 15 avril 2014: La Présidente de la Commission de l'Union africaine (UA), Dr.
Addis Ababa, 15 April 2014: The Chairperson of the Commission of the African Union (AU), Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, welcomes the report issued by the United Nations (UN) Secretary General on the situation concerning Western Sahara, on 10 April 2014.
ENHANCING AFRICA'S RESOLVE AND EFFECTIVENESS IN ENDING CONFLICT AND SUSTAINING PEACE
1. At its 13th Ordinary Session held in Sirte, Libya, from 1st to 3rd July 2009, the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union (AU) adopted decision Assembly/AU/Dec.266 (XIII) on the holding of a Special Session on the Consideration and Resolution of Conflicts in Africa.
RENFORCER LA DETERMINATION DE L'AFRIQUE ET L'EFFICACITÉ DE SON ACTION POUR METTRE UN TERME AUX CONFLITS ET PROMOUVOIR DURABLEMENT LA PAIX