Most read reports
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- Quatrième Commission: l’Algérie et le Maroc échangent leur point de vue sur le Sahara occidental
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Quatrième Commission: une lueur d’espoir se profile avec l’initiative des pourparlers de décembre de l’Envoyé spécial pour le Sahara occidental
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
December 9, 2010
EVENT: The Polisario movement on December 7 called on the UN to investigate Morocco's clearing of a Sahrawi protest camp outside Laayoune last month.
SIGNIFICANCE: Riots and violence at the time of the clearing saw at least eleven people killed and constituted the most significant unrest since Morocco took control of the territory. The events and their aftermath could prove to be a game-changer.
ANALYSIS: The Western Sahara conflict is often described as the oldest decolonisation conflict in the world, as well as a relic of the Cold War.