Most read reports
- Secretary-General Welcomes Decision by Morocco, Frente POLISARIO, Algeria, Mauritania to Participate in Meeting on Western Sahara
- Western Sahara: MINURSO, September 2018
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Near verbatim transcript of the press stakeout of the Personal Envoy of the Secretary-General for Western Sahara - Initial Roundtable Meeting on Western Sahara, 6 December 2018
As the conflict over the future of Western Sahara and the human suffering it has occasioned near their fortieth year, the situation in north-west Africa is becoming increasingly alarming. This conflict must be brought to an end if the people of the region are to meet their shared challenges and achieve their full potential.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced today the appointment of Major General Muhammad Tayyab Azam of Pakistan as the Force Commander of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO).
Major General Azam will succeed Major General Major Imam Edy Mulyono of Indonesia, whose tour of duty ends on 17 September 2015. The Secretary-General is grateful to Major General Mulyono for his exemplary service and contribution to the work of MINURSO since July 2013.
Le Secrétaire général de l’ONU, M. Ban Ki-moon, a annoncé aujourd’hui la nomination du général de division Muhammad Azam Tayyab, du Pakistan, au poste de Commandant de la force de la Mission des Nations Unies pour l’organisation d’un référendum au Sahara occidental (MINURSO).