Most read reports
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
- Western Sahara Consultations
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/277) [EN/AR]
- Calling for Renewed Efforts to End Decades-old Western Sahara Conflict, Security Council Extends Mission, Adopting Resolution 2414 (2018)
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2017/307) [EN/AR]
La situation relative au Criquet pèlerin demeure préoccupante puisque les ailés de deuxième génération forment de petits essaims au Tchad et des groupes au Niger. Une situation similaire est probable dans le nord du Mali mais n’a pu être confirmé en raison de l’insécurité.
Opérations de lutte en cours au Niger et au Tchad
Control operations underway in Niger and Chad
As the seasonal rains have ended in the Sahel and vegetation is drying out, Desert Locusts are concentrating and increasing in density in the few areas that are still green. Although current control operations are reducing locust numbers and infestations in Niger and Chad, migration to Northwest Africa is imminent, albeit on a smaller scale, since it is difficult to find and control all locust infestations in the northern Sahel.
ALERTE: formation d’essaims de Criquet pèlerin au Sahel
DESERT LOCUST WARNING! Swarms forming in the Sahel
Desert Locust swarms are present in Chad and should start forming shortly in Niger and Mali. The swarms are expected to move towards North-West Africa in the coming weeks. Although unusually favourable ecological conditions allowed two generations of breeding this summer, the rains have ended and vegetation is drying out. This will cause locusts to concentrate and group in those areas that are still green in the Sahel and form hopper bands and swarms during the remainder of October and in November.
Situation Générale en octobre 2009
Prévision jusqu'à mi-décembre 2009
Une résurgence de Criquet pèlerin s'est développée début octobre dans l'ouest de la Mauritanie.
Regional meeting on landmines opens today in Pretoria
Pretoria, 9 September 2009 -- African Union members must step up their efforts towards ridding the continent of landmines and fully respecting the rights of landmine survivors, said the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL), 1997 Nobel Peace Laureate, today at the opening of a regional meeting on the issue.
'I find it hard to enjoy anything because my son is constantly on my mind.'
NEW YORK, 3 December (UN Mine Action Service) - An international treaty that prohibits the use, production, stockpiling and transfer of cluster munitions is opening for signature in Oslo, Norway today.
The new Convention on Cluster Munitions - or CCM - "marks a major step forward in global efforts to protect civilians and control the noxious spread of deadly, inhumane weapons", wrote the Secretary-General in a message to the Oslo signing event. "The horrific humanitarian impact of cluster munitions is well known," he added.
The South African Government had decided to dedicate the second South African Presidency of the Security Council to strengthening the relationship between the United Nations and the African Union and other regional organizations, Dumisani Kumalo, the country's Permanent Representative to the United Nations, said at a Headquarters press conference today.
Briefing on the Council's work programme for April, he said that in order to focus on strengthening those relations, two major events had been scheduled.
1. The present report is submitted in accordance with Security Council presidential statement S/PRST/2007/31, in which the Council requested the Secretary-General to report to it on options for the further implementation of resolution 1625 (2005) on conflict prevention, particularly in Africa.
2. A culture of prevention is taking hold at the United Nations; awareness of the importance of prevention has spread, and the commitment to building and mainstreaming its tools has taken root.
The Secretary-General: Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. First of all, I would like to send my best wishes for a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. I hope that 2008 will bring to all of you and your families best wishes, happiness and prosperity. It has been a great privilege for me to work with you during last year, my first year, and I count on continuing such a good relationship and friendship and exchange of ideas, including constructive criticism, even. Thank you very much.