Most read reports
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
- Western Sahara Consultations
- Calling for Renewed Efforts to End Decades-old Western Sahara Conflict, Security Council Extends Mission, Adopting Resolution 2414 (2018)
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/277) [EN/AR]
- Note to Correspondents: Visit by the Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy for Western Sahara
Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme
Overview on UNHCR’s operations in the Middle East and North Africa
A. Situational context including new developments
1 March 2016 – In Spain this evening, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon praised the country's efforts to address some of “the most urgent issues on the international agenda,” including the plight of asylum seekers fleeing across the Mediterranean, and the devastating war in Syria.
The Security Council’s work programme for November will be packed not only with discussions of difficult situations around the world, but also with business not completed at the end of last month, the Permanent Representative of India, which holds the body’s presidency for the month, told correspondents at Headquarters this afternoon.
This document provides an overview of developments in the Mediterranean Basin and other regions of interest from 13 March—19 March, with hyperlinks to source material highlighted and underlined in the text. For more information on the topics below or other issues pertaining to the region, please contact the members of the Med Basin Team, or visit our website at www.cimicweb.org.
INSIDE THIS ISSUE
HoA: Land & Sea
In Focus: Syrian Refugees in Lebanon