Most read reports
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Security Council Adopts Resolution 2440 (2018), Authorizing Six-Month Extension for United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
Executive Committee of the High Commissioner’s Programme
Overview on UNHCR’s operations in the Middle East and North Africa
A. Situational context including new developments
1 March 2016 – In Spain this evening, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon praised the country's efforts to address some of “the most urgent issues on the international agenda,” including the plight of asylum seekers fleeing across the Mediterranean, and the devastating war in Syria.
The Security Council’s work programme for November will be packed not only with discussions of difficult situations around the world, but also with business not completed at the end of last month, the Permanent Representative of India, which holds the body’s presidency for the month, told correspondents at Headquarters this afternoon.
This document provides an overview of developments in the Mediterranean Basin and other regions of interest from 13 March—19 March, with hyperlinks to source material highlighted and underlined in the text. For more information on the topics below or other issues pertaining to the region, please contact the members of the Med Basin Team, or visit our website at www.cimicweb.org.
INSIDE THIS ISSUE
HoA: Land & Sea
In Focus: Syrian Refugees in Lebanon