Most read reports
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- Secretary-General Welcomes Decision by Morocco, Frente POLISARIO, Algeria, Mauritania to Participate in Meeting on Western Sahara
- Western Sahara: MINURSO, September 2018
Dans ce numéro
- A l’ordre du jour : le 29e sommet de l’UA
Lors du récent sommet de l’Union africaine, quelques pays se sont plaints du processus décisionnel des réformes de l’organisation.
Les dirigeants ont par ailleurs décidé que septembre serait un « mois d’amnistie » pour les individus détenant des armes illégales.
In this issue
On the Agenda: 29th AU summit At the recent African Union (AU) summit in Addis Ababa some countries complained about the way decisions on AU reforms had been made.
Leaders decided, among other measures, that September would be amnesty month for those possessing illegal weapons.
General Assembly GA/11390
Sixty-seventh General Assembly
90th Meeting (PM)
Acting on the recommendations of its Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary), the General Assembly today adopted its peacekeeping budget for the period 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2014.
90e séance - après-midi
Peu après la clôture, cet après-midi, de la session de la Cinquième Commission chargée des questions administratives et budgétaires*, l’Assemblée générale a approuvé un budget de 7,525 milliards de dollars pour le financement de 14 opérations de maintien de la paix des Nations Unies, pour l’exercice budgétaire de 12 mois allant du 1er juillet 2013 au 30 juin 2014.
Sixty-seventh General Assembly
35th Meeting (PM)
Creation of New Mission for Mali Pushes Budget beyond Total for Current Year
Concluding its second resumed substantive session, the Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary) today recommended financial arrangements for 14 United Nations peacekeeping operations for the year beginning 1 July 2013 and ending 30 June 2014, which, once approved by the General Assembly, would exceed the previous year’s figure due to the addition of a new mission for Mali.
Address by Minister of Foreign Affairs Espen Barth Eide
I would like to thank you for this opportunity to give a review of the situation in the Sahel region.
Despite good agricultural production in 2012 and good conditions for pastoralists, the situation in the Sahel remains critical, mostly due to the impact of the 2012 crisis (food insecurity, floods and Mali conflict) as well as previous recent crises. Approximately 10.3 million people remain food insecure in 2013 and over 1.4 million children are at risk of severe acute malnutrition.
Situation préoccupante le long des deux rives de la mer Rouge
Situation remains serious along both sides of the Red Sea
- The resumption of hostilities in northern Mali leads to an influx of displaced people in an ever more
difficult context for affected populations
- Prices of millet are still high in the Sahel despite a good harvest
- Food insecurity still persists because of the 2011-2012 crises which resulted from natural disasters, high
malnutrition rates and prices still high for the poorest Sahelian households
- Locust invasions are decreasing