Most read reports
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Security Council Adopts Resolution 2440 (2018), Authorizing Six-Month Extension for United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
Executive Committee of the High Commissioner's Programme
Geneva, 4-8 October 2010
30 September 2010
This update presents some examples of challenges, progress and new developments in global programmes and partnerships since the last strategic overview presented to the 47th meeting of the Standing Committee in March 2010. A more comprehensive report will be provided in the forthcoming Global Appeal 2011 Update.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon arrived in Zaragoza, Spain, from Geneva, Switzerland, in the middle of the day on Monday, 1 September.
He visited the international EXPO 2008 under the theme "Water and Sustainable Development". He toured a number of pavilions, and addressed guests at the Water Tribune. He expressed the United Nations commitment to protecting and properly managing the world's precious water resources, and stressed the need to tackle existing challenges and emerging threats in meeting global water and sanitation goals.