Most read reports
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Quatrième Commission: l’Algérie et le Maroc échangent leur point de vue sur le Sahara occidental
- Quatrième Commission: une lueur d’espoir se profile avec l’initiative des pourparlers de décembre de l’Envoyé spécial pour le Sahara occidental
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
This is the first consolidated presentation of the reported results of CERF funding, covering a full year of CERF allocations. As such, it serves as a pilot and will inform future CERF results reporting. This report was compiled on the basis of information provided by Resident Coordinators/Humanitarian Coordinators (RC/ HCs) and Humanitarian Country Teams (HCTs) in 66 consolidated reports covering the results of more than 450 CERF-funded projects.
NOV 2016 FORECAST
Locusts will decline in southeast Mauritania as a few remaining groups form and move to the northwest where they will supplement egg-laying that started during the last week of September. Second-generation hatching that commenced in early October will continue until about early November, giving rise to hopper groups and bands throughout November.
The advent of mobile technology is already transforming service delivery within the international development sector. In healthcare, for example, community healthcare workers are able to track patients, share case data, and upload information to their supervisors straight from the most basic mobile phones. Agricultural development initiatives are also beginning to employ mobile solutions, utilizing phone-based tools to increase smallholder farmers’ access to market information and growing advice.
Special Report by Claudia Hofmann and Ulrich Schneckener
Transnational nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) have developed strategies to improve the diffusion of and general adherence to international norms among nonstate armed actors, with the goal of persuading armed actors to adapt their behavior accordingly.
Overviews of international engagement in conflict-affected states typically focus on military peacekeeping and the economics of postconflict peacebuilding. This excludes an array of primarily civilian missions deployed by the United Nations (UN) as well as other multilateral institutions in countries and regions that are at risk of, experiencing or emerging from violence.
Women from civil society and senior UN leaders in conflict-affected countries participated in 25 dialogues on conflict resolution and peacebuilding in June, July and August 2010.
1. This report summarises an independent evaluation of DG ECHO's actions in the Saharawi refugee camps which took place between April to May 2009, focussing on the funding provided through the 2006 through 2008 decisions. The aim of the evaluation is to advise DG ECHO on priorities, make specific recommendations for improving the impact of its humanitarian response and provide advice on its strategy for 2009 onwards.
A New Partnership Agenda: Charting a New Horizon for UN Peacekeeping is an internal "non-paper" prepared by the by the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) and the Department of Field Support (DFS), which reflects the departments' analysis and outlines a number of crucial recommendations for the future of peacekeeping operations.
The New Horizon non-paper has been circulated to Member States and partners and will form the basis of in-depth consultations in the coming months.
- Western Sahara is a disputed territory that was the cause of a ftifteen year war between Morocco and the Frente Polisario, in support of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR). The dispute is currently without violence, but has existed as a stalemate since a peace plan was brokered in 1991.
- The stalemate exists because the two sides have not yet been able to agree to a format for the referendum that the plan calls for.