Most read reports
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Security Council Adopts Resolution 2440 (2018), Authorizing Six-Month Extension for United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
| Overview |
| Overview |
The North Africa subregion serves as either a transit or final destination for sizeable mixed migration movements from subSaharan Africa. In addition, the instability still affecting much of North Africa continues to generate irregular movements from the region to Europe. UNHCR offices throughout North Africa witnessed an increase in the number of asylum-seekers in 2013.
Landmines continue to kill or maim more than 4,000 people yearly
United Nations appeals for $498 million to address the challenge in 29 countries
GENEVA - Mine action initiatives in 29 countries, territories or peacekeeping missions will cost $498 million in 2011, according to the 14th edition of the annual Portfolio of Mine Action Projects, released today by the United Nations in Geneva.
The portfolio is an annual snapshot of the impact of landmines and explosive remnants of war in countries or territories with mine action programmes.
Pursuant to the United Nations Resolutions 1282 of 1999 and subsequent resolutions, UNHCR, the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO), and the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for the Western Sahara have been promoting, with the Moroccan and Algerian authorities and the POLISARIO, Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) that facilitate person to person contacts between the Saharawi refugees in the Tindouf refugee camps in Algeria and their family members in the communities of origin in Western Sahara.
The main objective of …