Most read reports
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Security Council Adopts Resolution 2440 (2018), Authorizing Six-Month Extension for United Nations Mission for Referendum in Western Sahara
- Rising Unrest in Sahel Spells Need to Resolve Long-Standing Western Sahara Dispute, Say Delegates as Fourth Committee Concludes Decolonization Debate
- How the latest AU decision on Western Sahara could affect other crises
Global Overview JUNE 2018
The map below shows asylum applications by under age 18 year olds and gender. Darker colours mean more people have applied in a certain country. Use the slider to select a year or the drop down menus below to display data for different age groups or different home countries.
Plus de 50 opérations de paix ont été déployées dans 18 pays d’Afrique depuis 2000.
Le « maintien de la paix en partenariat », qui implique une coopération entre divers acteurs et institutions multilatérales et bilatérales, est devenu de plus en plus commun.
Les efforts de génération des forces devraient porter sur le déploiement des capacités requises en vue de la réalisation des objectifs de la mission et pas seulement sur le nombre de soldats de la paix.
Over 50 peace operations have been deployed to 18 African countries since 2000.
“Partnership peacekeeping,” which involves collaboration between various multilateral and bilateral actors and institutions, has become increasingly common.
Force generation efforts should focus on deploying the capabilities needed to realize mission objectives and not solely on numbers of peacekeepers.
SIPRI Fact Sheet July 2009
- Close to 79 000 personnel were deployed in 19 operations in Africa in 2008.
- Personnel numbers in Africa in 2008 had increased by 14 % over the 2007 level and 400 % over the 1999 level.
- Almost a third of all operations worldwide and 42 % of all personnel were located in Africa in 2008.
- Operations were active in 13 African countries in 2008.
- The UN sent 70% of all peace operation personnel it deployed worldwide in 2008 to Africa.
- Personnel deployments in Africa were 21 % short of the authorized levels in 2008.
- Five …
The present report examines the challenges faced by the United Nations and its partners in providing professional mediation assistance to parties in conflict. It describes the need for experienced and knowledgeable mediators and support teams, with women adequately represented, and sufficient resources to provide assistance at an early stage to help parties design and pursue processes that will address the root causes of their conflicts, overcome obstacles that block progress, and achieve agreements that lead to sustainable peace.
Instead of the usual depiction of conflicts as countrywide and defined by national boundaries, this map displays distinct conflict-affected areas in Africa as sub-national and transnational pockets of insecurity, violence, and armed aggression. Areas of conflict were drawn around locations of reported conflict incidents in 2007 and 2008, as well as concentrations of internally displaced persons and cross-border rebel bases and refugee camps in neighboring countries.