Most read reports
- Secretary-General Welcomes Decision by Morocco, Frente POLISARIO, Algeria, Mauritania to Participate in Meeting on Western Sahara
- Western Sahara: MINURSO, September 2018
- Report of the Secretary-General on the situation concerning Western Sahara (S/2018/889) [EN/AR]
- Western Sahara Represented by ‘Shadow Republic’, Says Petitioner as Fourth Committee Continues Decolonization Discussion
- Near verbatim transcript of the press stakeout of the Personal Envoy of the Secretary-General for Western Sahara - Initial Roundtable Meeting on Western Sahara, 6 December 2018
2349,424 mt of food assistance distributed
2,225 kcal/person/day provided through the general food basket
US$ 5.5 m six months (December 2018 – May 2019) net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in October 2018
• In September, as part of the General Food Assistance, WFP distributed 125,000 rations consisting of 8 kg wheat flour, 2 kg rice, 1 kg pasta, 2 kg yellow split peas, 1kg CSB, 1kg sugar, 1litre of fortified vegetable oil. The ration was complemented with 1 kg of gofio (roasted maize meal), which is part of an in-kind donation from the Spanish region of Gran Canaria. The food basket reached a daily energy intake of 2,208 kcal/person, higher than the planned 2,100 kcal per day due to the inclusion of an additional commodity.
Humanitarian activists on Thursday expressed outrage at the embezzlement by Polisario leaders of humanitarian aids sent to Tindouf camps populations in southwestern Algeria.
Speaking before the 4th Committee of the United Nations General Assembly, Eric Cameron, president of the Norwegian NGO "World Action for Refugees", lamented the inaction surrounding the Tindouf camps, noting that parties have failed in their responsibility to help these people by not seeking a political solution.
Situation générale en septembre 2018
Prévision jusqu'à mi-novembre 2018
RÉGION OCCIDENTALE: CALME
SITUATION. Une reproduction à petite échelle était en cours en Mauritanie, au Niger et au Tchad, et probablement aussi dans le nord du Mali. Une reproduction locale s'est poursuivie dans le centre de l'Algérie où des opérations de lutte limitées ont été réalisées.
NOTE: The following is by way of informational response to media interest concerning the Tindouf camps in Algeria
Una delegación de personal técnico de la Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo (AECID) visitó la semana pasada los campos de refugiados saharauis en Tinduf para conocer de primera mano su situación
La misión llevó a cabo una valoración de posibles nuevos ámbitos de actuación más allá de los estrictamente humanitarios
- 2,264 mt of food assistance distributed
- 2,228 kcal/person/day provided through the food basket
- US$ 5.3 m six months (September 2018 - February 2019) net funding requirements
- 125,000 people assisted in August 2018
1,762,314 mt of food assistance distributed
1,753 kcal/person/day provided through the food basket
US$ 5.2 m six months (August 2018 - January 2019) net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in July 2018
FACTS & FIGURES
Around 174 000 refugees (UNHCR) 90 000 vulnerable refugees targeted by the EU humanitarian assistance
5 camps in the south-west of the Algerian desert
Total EU humanitarian funding: €240 million since 1993
Global Overview JULY 2018
125,000 General food rations distributed
2,270 kcal per ration per day reached in June
13,736 boys and girls received products to treat and prevent malnutrition
USD 4.3 m six-month (July-December 2018)
WFP net funding requirements
125,000 people assisted in June 2018
ALGIERS – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) received a contribution of dates from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia worth US$1.5 million to support refugees residing in camps in Algeria.
For several years, Saudi Arabia has donated dates – which enhance the nutritional value of WFP food assistance – for distribution in refugee camps in Algeria. The most recent contribution of more than 700 metric tons is three times larger than contributions made in previous years, and comes at a critical time when monthly food assistance has been reduced.
Algeria has been hosting refugees from Western Sahara since 1975. These refugees are in camps in the harsh, isolated desert environment.
Algeria has been hosting refugees from Western Sahara since 1975. These refugees are in camps in the harsh, isolated desert environment of western Algeria, where opportunities for self-reliance are limited, forcing them to depend on humanitarian assistance for their survival.
As a leading global humanitarian donor, the European Union is at the forefront of identifying and intervening in crises that have escaped international attention. These so-called 'forgotten crises' have persisted, yet despite significant humanitarian needs they receive insufficient international aid.
After leaving Western Sahara 40 years ago, Mbareka and her small family face a daily struggle to survive in an Algerian desert camp
By Russell Fraser in Smara Camp, Tindouf, Algeria | 14 June 2018
When Mbareka fled the violence of the Western Sahara War with her family as a young girl in 1975, she could never have imagined that she would become a grandmother while in exile.
Global Overview MAY 2018
Poor funding continued to affect WFP’s regular activities. Mid-morning snacks for children in schools and kindergarten only consisted of only half a glass of milk (40 g), without biscuits.
WFP Algeria thanks ECHO for their recent contribution which will continue WFP’ life-saving food assistance to the Sahrawi refugees in Algeria.