Most read reports
- Eritrea: Human rights central to brighter future, says expert
- The Ministry of Health Eritrea launches the National Measles Rubella Vaccination and vitamin A supplementation campaign for children under 15
- Thousands of families reunited one month after Ethiopia–Eritrea border reopens
- Somalia and Eritrea: Security Council to Lift Sanctions on Eritrea
- Unanimously Adopting Resolution 2444 (2018), Security Council Lifts Sanctions on Eritrea, Renews Arms Embargo against Somalia
In the space of a week, at least 750 migrants are feared to have died crossing the Mediterranean Sea.
Many thousands of others have risked their lives this year, fleeing conflict and instability in Africa and the Middle East, in small, often decrepit vessels in an attempt to reach European territories.
Ash spewing from the Nabro volcano in Eritrea has covered villages in Ethiopia, affecting at least 5,000 people, aid workers say.
Initial reports said eight villages in the Biddu district of Ethiopia, close to the border, were covered by volcanic dust.
Read the complete story on the BBC