Most read reports
- Eritrea: Peace deal could offer hope for reforms, including three key steps, says UN expert
- Security Council Press Statement on Developments in Horn of Africa Region
- Déclaration à la presse faite par le Conseil de sécurité sur l’évolution de la situation dans la région de la Corne de l’Afrique
- Can improved Ethiopia-Eritrea relations stabilise the region?
- Along with Peace, Eritreans Need Repression to End
The European Union has decided in principle to send a three-nation team to the Horn of Africa to work towards resolving the war between Eritrea and Ethiopia. The EU troika, made up of states holding the past, present and future presidencies of the union, Austria, Germany and Finland will use as a framework a peace agreement drawn up by the Organisation of African Unity.
The E-U has called on both sides to end the fighting and on an immediate halt of arms sales to the belligerants. It also appealed to both parties to abide by a moratorium on air strikes agreed last year.