Most read reports
- Somalia and Eritrea: Security Council to Lift Sanctions on Eritrea
- Eritrea: Human rights central to brighter future, says expert
- Unanimously Adopting Resolution 2444 (2018), Security Council Lifts Sanctions on Eritrea, Renews Arms Embargo against Somalia
- Thousands of families reunited one month after Ethiopia–Eritrea border reopens
- UN Security Council Lifts Arms Embargo on Eritrea
The Red Cross is helping provide remote parts of Eritrea with water by harnessing the power of the sun.
Fuel shortages in the east African country and the low cost of running a solar power system led to the green initiative by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
The ICRC, in partnership with the Eritrean Water Resources Department, has installed solar-power panels to pump water through boreholes to public fountains in a number of villages.
Derek Tooke, a British Red Cross delegate working with the International Committee of the Red Cross in Eritrea, has died after his vehicle was caught in a flash flood last Wednesday while crossing a river-bed near the coastal city of Massawa.