Most read reports
- Security Council Press Statement on Developments in Horn of Africa Region
- Eritrea: Peace deal could offer hope for reforms, including three key steps, says UN expert
- Déclaration à la presse faite par le Conseil de sécurité sur l’évolution de la situation dans la région de la Corne de l’Afrique
- Can improved Ethiopia-Eritrea relations stabilise the region?
- Along with Peace, Eritreans Need Repression to End
Peru will have the presidency in April. It has chosen to hold a high-level briefing on peacebuilding and sustaining peace which is planned to coincide with the 24-25 April General Assembly high-level event on this issue. Secretary-General António Guterres and the Chair of the PBC, Ambassador Ion Jinga (Romania), are expected to brief.
There will be three open debates this month.
Lake Chad Basin
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Expected Council Action
OVERVIEW FOR DECEMBER
The Qatar presidency in December will be a challenging one. December is a short month because Council members usually strive to finish their work by Christmas. However, there are a near record-high number of issues on the December calendar.
On 31 May, the Council adopted resolution 1681, authorising the downsizing of the UN Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) from 3,277 to up to 2,300 troops, including 230 military observers, and extending UNMEE's mandate until 30 September.