Most read reports
- Eritrea: Human rights central to brighter future, says expert
- The Ministry of Health Eritrea launches the National Measles Rubella Vaccination and vitamin A supplementation campaign for children under 15
- Thousands of families reunited one month after Ethiopia–Eritrea border reopens
- Somalia and Eritrea: Security Council to Lift Sanctions on Eritrea
- Unanimously Adopting Resolution 2444 (2018), Security Council Lifts Sanctions on Eritrea, Renews Arms Embargo against Somalia
Georgetown, GINA, August 17, 2011
President Bharrat Jagdeo earlier today expressed his alarm at the unfolding famine in the Horn of Africa, and emphasised his distress at the images of children caught in the ravages of the devastating drought in Eastern Africa.
The President also announced that his Government will be making famine relief of US$100,000, equivalent to G$20M, immediately available to the people of the affected areas, as a measure intended to help bring some comfort to them.