Most read reports
- Eritrea: Human rights central to brighter future, says expert
- Thousands of families reunited one month after Ethiopia–Eritrea border reopens
- The Ministry of Health Eritrea launches the National Measles Rubella Vaccination and vitamin A supplementation campaign for children under 15
- Somalia and Eritrea: Security Council to Lift Sanctions on Eritrea
- Can improved Ethiopia-Eritrea relations stabilise the region?
GENEVA, 23 October 2009 - The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) and its Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) welcome the African Union's adoption of the Convention for the Protection and Assistance of Internally Displaced Persons in Africa. The Convention was adopted in Kampala today at the AU Special Summit on Refugees, Returnees and IDPs in Africa.
"The African Union is the first regional organisation worldwide to adopt a legally binding instrument to protect the rights of internally displaced people," said NRC Secretary General Elisabeth Rasmusson.