Most read reports
- Security Council Press Statement on Developments in Horn of Africa Region
- Eritrea: Peace deal could offer hope for reforms, including three key steps, says UN expert
- Déclaration à la presse faite par le Conseil de sécurité sur l’évolution de la situation dans la région de la Corne de l’Afrique
- Can improved Ethiopia-Eritrea relations stabilise the region?
- Along with Peace, Eritreans Need Repression to End
1) Basic Information
The End of Battle and Returnees from Sudan
One million people became refugees and Internally Displaces Persons after 30 years of Independence War and two and a half years of boundary dispute. As a result, most of the refugees escaped to the neighboring country, Sudan. Based on the Tripartite Agreement among the governments of Eritrea, Sudan, and UNHCR in May 2001, the returning process for refugees began.
Poor crop due to lack of rain has resulted in the rising prices of hen feed. This has come as a direct blow to the Gergef Poultry Association (no. of associates: 30 female returnees) that commenced chicken farming in June, 2005, as the production cost of eggs has began to rise. The already grave situation has only been exacerbated by the outbreak of the bird flu, which in itself, has threatened the existence of Eritrea's poultry farming.
JEN will begin the construction of a feed self-processing facility, utilizing agricultural products grown in the village.