Most read reports
- Eritrea: Peace deal could offer hope for reforms, including three key steps, says UN expert
- Security Council Press Statement on Developments in Horn of Africa Region
- Can improved Ethiopia-Eritrea relations stabilise the region?
- Along with Peace, Eritreans Need Repression to End
- Ethiopia, Eritrea Reopen Border Crossing
The challenge of desertification, already big, is becoming even more significant as a growing global population places increasing pressure on productive land. If we have any chance of delivering more nutritious food to people in the Global South we need to recover degraded land and enhance the health and fertility of our soils.
In the dry areas, where ICARDA works, this challenge is likely to be more difficult – these marginal environments are on the frontline in the fight against desertification and are predicted to be worst affected by climate change.