Appeals & Response Plans
- Egypt: Floods - Oct 2016
- Syria/Iraq: Polio Outbreak - Oct 2013
- Egypt: Floods - Jan 2010
- Influenza A (H1N1) Pandemic - Apr 2009
- Egypt: Landslide - Sep 2008
- Locusts - Aug 2004
- Egypt: Floods - Nov 1994
- Sudan/Egypt: Earthquakes - Aug 1993
- Egypt: Earthquake - Oct 1992
- Egypt: Floods Due To Canal Collapse - Dec 1991
Maps & Infographics
Most read reports
The death toll of the heatwave that is striking Sudan's Northern State increased to 16 on Saturday.
The authorities of Wadi Halfa at the Sudanese-Egyptian border, announced on Saturday that an Egyptian expatriate died that morning of a heatstroke.
Two others were admitted to the Wadi Halfa Hospital in a bad condition. One of them, an Ethiopian, was transferred to the intensive care unit.
August 12, 2015 12:05 PM
CAIRO, EGYPT — More than 60 people have been killed in the past few days and hundreds of people have been hospitalized from a heat wave that has gripped the Middle East for weeks.
Some cities have been hit with what "feels like" temperatures of about 70 degrees Celsius, according to Egyptian state news.
This summer’s heat has killed many others across the region with temperatures that have been in the 40s and sometimes even the 50s for weeks.
• Recent or ongoing harvests are generally contributing to greater food security in most parts of East Africa, West Africa, Central America and Asia while food insecurity levels are reaching their annual peak in Southern Africa.