Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2018
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2018
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
Most read reports
- 80 per cent of school children returned to school in Ebola-affected areas
- DRC: MSF uses new medical approaches to contain Ebola outbreak
- DR Congo: Upsurge in Killings in ‘Ebola Zone’
- MSF adapts to changing needs in Greater Kasai region
- WHO AFRO Outbreaks and Other Emergencies, Week 41: 6 - 12 October 2018 (Data as reported by 17:00; 12 October 2018)
This report examines the past to think critically about the current UN presence in the DRC from several historical perspectives.
First, Henning Melber, the Director of the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation, examines the standard of personal integrity which the Secretary General set for his successors in leading international actions in the DRC.
Next, UN missions past and present are ana-lysed on their self-described mandates to restore order to the DRC. Coel Kirkby re-considers ONUC, the first mission, and its influence on the post-independence power struggles.