Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2014
- DR Congo: Cholera and Measles Outbreaks - Jan 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- Congo's mega-crisis at deadly tipping point
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: violence in Tanganyika and South Kivu fuels one of the world’s worst displacement crises for children – UNICEF
- Changing lives with one swipe in DRC
- WFP Broadens Operation To Stem Severe Hunger In Democratic Republic of Congo's Kasai Region
- DR Congo violence sees surge in refugees fleeing eastwards
Maize grain as usual was the most traded commodity in the region followed by dry beans, rice and then sorghum. See Figure 1.
Staple commodity prices especially for maize are expected to remain above last year and five year average prices despite near average harvest in the region with spatial pockets of deficit within and between countries because carryover stocks are low, tightening supplies available for trade.
- Tanzania’s ban on maize grain exports to assure the country’s food security and to encourage value addition through exports of flour, would likely move regional cross-border trade to informal channels because of porous borders, and increase the maize export prices because of additional of costs of circumventing the ban.
The full implementation of this version of the HIP is conditional upon the necessary appropriations being made available from the 2017 general budget of the European Union.
AMOUNT: 132 250 000 EUR
Maize grain was the most informally traded commodity in Eastern Africa in the first quarter of 2017 accounting for 33 percent of total trade, but volumes traded in the region were lower when compared to 2013-2016 average due to tight supplies following below average harvests across most countries.
Seasonal rainfall slow to start in southern Ethiopia and Kenya
Since early February, rainfall has been slightly above average in parts of western and southwestern Ethiopia, much of Uganda, Tanzania, and Burundi, with areas of below-average rainfall in northeastern and southern Ethiopia, western Kenya, and Rwanda. During this time, much of Somalia remained seasonally dry.
Maize grain was the most informally traded commodity in Eastern Africa in the fourth quarter of 2016 but its share of total trade decreased slightly from 35 percent in the third quarter to 31 percent in the fourth quarter because of average production and supplies in Kenya, Tanzania,
Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi.
UNHCR’s core objectives are to provide refugees and other persons of concern with international protection, and seek durable solutions for them.
Ethiopia maintains open borders for those seeking protection, and among the over 761,000 refugees hosted as of the end of September 2016 there are approximately:
Delayed onset and early seasonal rainfall deficits worsen over eastern Horn
Telemedicine helps to bridge the gap between remote areas and large hospitals
Friday, 9am – Daniel Martinez, one of the three coordinators of MSF’s telemedicine service receives an alert on his mobile: the organisation’s team in Shabunda, Democratic Republic of Congo, has a question about a paediatric case they are treating – a five-day-old baby that they suspect has tetanus.
Agencies launch revised appeal for South Sudan refugees amid concerns the numbers could pass the 1 million mark this year
Nairobi, 15 July 2016 (UNHCR) - The population of South Sudanese refugees in the region could pass the 1 million mark this year if cross-border displacement trends continue, according to Ann Encontre, Regional Refugee Coordinator for the South Sudan situation.
Maize grain remained the most traded commodity in Eastern Africa in the second quarter of 2016 since it is consumed by a large percentage of the population. However, the quality of maize available in the region is of poor quality resulting in significant rejection rates by millers.
Locally produced rice mostly from Tanzania was the second major crop traded in the region but is still grappling with issues of origin since some of it is mixed with Asian attracting the full East Africa common external tariff.
Women and girls among displaced people remain at high risk of GBV in the region.
Conflict-related sexual violence (CRSV) is the most prevalent form of GBV in humanitarian settings in eastern Africa.
Child marriage, rape and physical abuse are the common forms of GBV in stable environments, including southern Africa.
Regional WHS Commitments on gender call for end to financing gender blind programming.
Reconciling the Irreconcilable? Peace-building, Humanitarianism & Development
- Editor's Note
- The nexus of peace building, development and humanitarianism in conflict affected contexts: A respect for boundaries
- The evolution of NGO peacebuilding in complex emergencies: A theoretical analysis
- Intersectionality, sexual and gender-based violence and humanitarian intervention
- Hitting two birds with one stone?
About This Report
CAMP DE SHERKOLE, Ethiopie, 6 mars (HCR) – Tous les matins, juste avant 4 heures, Masika Basemé-Jeanne éteint l'alarme de son réveil sur son téléphone portable. Elle adorerait continuer de rêver à son ancienne vie auprès de son mari et au volant de son taxi à Kinshasa, mais elle sait qu'il y a 1 500 miches de pain à faire cuire.
SHERKOLE CAMP, Ethiopia, March 6 (UNHCR) – Every morning, just before 4am, Masika Basemé-Jeanne reaches for the snooze button on her mobile phone alarm. She'd love to continue dreaming of her former life with her husband and driving her taxi around Kinshasa, but she knows there are 1,500 loaves of bread to be baked.