Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2018
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2014
Most read (last 30 days)
Congo's decade of political violence has worsened a trend of stagnated development. The massive displacement caused by the last of three civil wars in 1998-1999 led to epidemic levels of malnutrition. Directly or indirectly, up to 50,000 lost their lives.
Peace, however, has been restored. Talks throughout 1999 and an amnesty in August led to the signing of a cease-fire. The Government has started a process of political reform, to include a constitutional referendum in 2001. UN activities all support the development of a culture of peace.