Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2014
- DR Congo: Cholera and Measles Outbreaks - Jan 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
- DR Congo: 2017-2019 Humanitarian Response Plan - 2018 Update
- Needs reach fever pitch in Congo as world watches in silence
- Donors Announce $528 Million in Funding to Scale Up Aid Delivery to People in Urgent Need in DRC
- DR Congo: Funding urgently needed to avert a catastrophe, says CAFOD
- Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Mark Lowcock: Statement on United Nations and Humanitarian Community Making Progress in Scaling Up Aid to People in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
606,595 Persons of concern - refugees, asylum seekers, IDPs and returnees - for UNHCR operations in Chad
942 Chadian refugees voluntarily repatriated from Darfur, the Sudan to Chad
657 Supplemental Judgments rendered to deliver birth certificates to Nigerian refugees
Persons of concern - refugees, asylum seekers, IDPs and returnees - for UNHCR operations in Chad.
Refugees interviewed by the French Office for the Protection of Refugees and Stateless persons (OFPRA) for potential resettlement.
Go and see/ Come and tell
visits undertaken by Sudanese and Chadian refugees in accordance with the Tripartite Agreements.
Numbers of refugees and asylum seekers in Chad
refugees students obtained the baccalaureate - 58.5% success rate - qualifying them for higher education in 2017
Trees planted by refugees in villages surrounding refugee camps to protect the environment.
Working with Partners
Le magazine du HCR Tchad est la vitrine des activités, décisions et politiques du gouvernement tchadien, du HCR et de leurs partenaires dans le cadre de la protection et de l’assistance des réfugiés et d’autres populations vulnérables. Il sera ainsi une plateforme pour un débat constructif entre tous les acteurs y compris les réfugiés et se fera l’écho des sujets relatifs aux populations relevant du mandat du HCR et de tous les acteurs œuvrant à trouver des solutions durables à leur situation.
This regional inter-agency appeal aims at mobilizing the emergency response for the influx of refugees from the Central African Republic (CAR) since December 2013 to the Republics of Cameroon and Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and the Republic of Congo (RoC).
Immediate priorities to support the preservation of lives include the provision of food, individual and family protection, health and nutrition, water and sanitation and shelter.
Note: The last fact sheet was dated April 15, 2011.
· Unconfirmed estimates indicate that clashes that began on June 6 in Southern Kordofan State between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and forces loyal to the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) have displaced up to 53,000 people, according to the U.N. Humanitarian agencies have provided assistance in accessible areas of the state, but insecurity has constrained aid delivery. Many non-governmental organization (NGO) and U.N. staff have relocated from the area due to ongoing insecurity.
What is the Central Emergency Response Fund?
Five years ago, the United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) was established to bring a new dynamic to tackling emergencies. CERF’s creation was an acknowledgement that the humanitarian system had become too slow and cumbersome in releasing funds.
Note: The last fact sheet was dated February 18, 2010.
This report evaluates DFID's Humanitarian Assistance spending during the financial year 2009/10. The report does not include a breakdown of the UK contribution (13%) to the European Commission Humanitarian Office (ECHO) which spent €930 million on Humanitarian assistance during 2009. Excluding ECHO contributions, the report finds that DFID spent £428 million on humanitarian assistance during 2009/10 which was 6.3%% of the DFID programme.
As of September 6, three non-governmental organizations (NGOs), including USAID/OFDA grantees, had resumed health, nutrition, and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) activities in Kalma internally displaced persons (IDP) camp following a period of access restrictions from late July through August, according to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). The majority of basic humanitarian services in Kalma have resumed at a reduced level.
Note: The last situation report was dated July 13, 2010.
- On August 16, humanitarian agencies participating in an assessment gained access to Kalma internally displaced persons (IDP) camp for the first time since fighting commenced in the South Darfur camp during late July. Between July 24 and August 2, armed conflict among Kalma camp residents supportive of the Doha peace negotiations and those opposed, killed approximately 10 people and injured an estimated 25 others, according to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
In 2010 the IASC Task Force on Information Management commissioned a review of the usability and actual use of the IASC 'Operational Guidance on Responsibilities of Sector Cluster Leads and OCHA in Information Management' in order to assess whether it satisfies the envisioned goals of the IASC and to suggest adjustments to it if and where needed.
The report notes that knowledge of the emergency situation must be generated for the cluster approach-induced coordination mechanisms to lead to informed decisions.
Geneva (ICRC) In 2009, some 4.6 million internally displaced people (IDPs) - 20% more than in 2008 - benefited from humanitarian assistance provided by the ICRC, in association with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, in 33 countries all over the world.
L'approche Cluster a été introduite dans le cadre de la réforme humanitaire en 2005. Elle vise à apporter une assistance humanitaire plus efficace en instaurant un système de coordination sectorielle avec des organisations chefs de file désignées. Depuis 2005, beaucoup d'énergie, de temps et d'argent ont été investis dans la mise en oeuvre de l'approche Cluster aux niveaux global et des pays.
The cluster approach was introduced as part of humanitarian reform in 2005. It seeks to make humanitarian assistance more effective by introducing a system of sectoral coordination with designated lead organizations.
U.S. AGENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
BUREAU FOR DEMOCRACY, CONFLICT, AND HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE (DCHA)