Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2018
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2014
Most read (last 30 days)
- DR Congo: Red Cross ramps up support as Ebola response enters critical phase
- Children and the DRC Ebola outbreak: 4 things you need to know
- ALIMA opens an Ebola treatment center in DRC equipped with biosecure emergency care units (CUB)
- The world’s most neglected displacement crises
- DRC: MSF Ebola vaccination targets remote communities
The much-anticipated Global Compact for Refugees (GCR), expected in late 2018, together with the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF), promise to revitalize refugee response through a multi-stakeholder “whole of society” approach. At a time when the international community is grappling with fundamental questions such as the equitable sharing of responsibility for refugees, the views and opinions of citizens in East Africa are invaluable in charting new directions.
- 185,624: Number of refugees registered in Kakuma camp and Kalobeyei settlement as at 30 April 2018.
- 4,157: Number of new arrivals with heightened protection needs registered in 2018.
- 3,160: Number of Somali refugees assisted to return to Somalia since February 2016
Update on Achievements
By ELIZABETH MERAB
Kenya is on a high alert following an Ebola outbreak that has killed 17 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
In a statement on Wednesday, Health Cabinet Secretary Sicily Kariuki said the ministry will be conducting routine screening of all travellers at points of entry including at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), and Busia and Malaba along Kenya's border with Uganda.
“In these places, we have installed thermal guns to detect any person with elevated temperatures,” said Ms Kariuki.
Study finds refugee businesses play vital role in local economy
Research shows huge opportunities for private sector in Kenya’s Kakuma refugee camp and its neighbouring town.
As World Press Freedom Day takes place in Ghana May 3, Internews Regional Director for Africa addresses the challenges to media freedom facing the continent
It’s difficult to talk about freedom of the media in Africa today, without talking about the worrying events happening in East Africa, particularly in Kenya and Tanzania. Restrictions of and challenges to the media in these countries illustrate current declines in media freedom at the regional level, and reveal a level of hostility toward the media and contraction of civic space openly encouraged by leaders.
2,163 new arrivals were registered in March 2018 - 1,053 in Kakuma, 1,110 in Nairobi, and none in Dadaab. About 9,600 Ethiopian asylum seekers fled to Moyale in March.
78,088 Somalis have been assisted to return to Somalia under the voluntary repatriation programme since 2014, 2,791 of them in 2018
226,543 (47%) refugees reside in Dadaab, 187,013 (39%), in Kakuma & Kalobeyei Settlement and 67,670 (14%) in Nairobi
Working with Partners