Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2018
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2014
Most read (last 30 days)
- Kasai: A Children's Crisis: Coping with the impact of conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- WHO concerned as one Ebola case confirmed in urban area of Democratic Republic of the Congo
- New Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of the Congo
- UN Emergency Fund gives US$2 million to fight Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
- DRC and its neighbours mobilise resources to tackle Ebola outbreak
34,984 = Number of Burundian refugees who have sought asylum in neighboring countries since the beginning of April 2015
24,795 in Rwanda
7,189 in DRC
3,000 in Tanzania
Rwanda, with a population of 11 million, is a constitutional republic dominated by a strong presidency. In August voters elected President Paul Kagame to a second seven-year term with 93.1 percent of the vote.
by Zachary A Lomo
Roberta and I differ on both substantive issues and methodological approaches to the protection of IDPs. the key problem facing IDPs in Africa's great Lakes is not lack of regional mechanisms but the absence of strong national protection systems.
Roberta believes that the distinctions between refugees and IDPs are arbitrary and argues for parity between them. I contend there are substantial legal and material differences arising from the configuration of the international system based on states.
NAIROBI, June 23 (UNHCR) - Thousands of people have flocked to the UN refugee agency in Nairobi ahead of a government deadline for all foreigners in Kenya to register themselves. UNHCR has stressed that it is an immigration issue - not an asylum issue - that should be dealt with by the authorities.
Some 4,000 people, mostly Ethiopians, approached the UNHCR office in Nairobi for registration yesterday. Today saw the arrival of more than 500 others from the Great Lakes region, including Rwandans, Burundians and Congolese nationals.
The Federation's mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity. It is the world's largest humanitarian organization and its millions of volunteers are active in over 181 countries.