Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
Appeals & Response Plans
- DR Congo: Polio Outbreak - Feb 2018
- DR Congo: Floods - Jan 2018
- DR Congo: Landslide - Aug 2017
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2014
- DR Congo: Cholera and Measles Outbreaks - Jan 2013
Most read (last 30 days)
7 March 2018
A few days ago, we celebrated the centenary year of Nelson Mandela’s birth. We spoke of his example; his fortitude, his suffering and compassion, while recalling also the declaration that he and my predecessor Mary Robinson signed in 2000 on diversity and tolerance.
Global Overview FEBRUARY 2018
On 26 February 2017, the Council adopted conclusions on EU priorities at United Nations human rights fora in 2018.
15 January 2018: Update: An Australian humanitarian doctor kidnapped on 15 January 2016 continues to be held hostage by an al-Qaeda-linked group. Source: aOuaga
Central African Republic
Violence against children affects more than 1.7 billion children every year, in every community and every country. Children are being subjected to violence in their communities, schools and homes – the very places they should feel the most secure and safe. Violence is devastating for children, affecting their health, obstructing their education and diminishing their chances for a life free from poverty and discrimination. The impact of violence goes beyond the individual children, affecting families and communities, slowing economic development and eroding human and social capital.
Central African Republic
Le 11 janvier 2018, le ministre de la Coopération et de l’Action humanitaire, Romain Schneider, a signé six accords-cadres de développement avec les organisations non gouvernementales de développement (ONGD) suivantes : Action pour un monde uni, Frères des Hommes Luxembourg, Guiden a Scouten fir eng Welt, Handicap International Luxembourg, Pharmaciens sans frontières et Unity Foundation.
Global Overview DECEMBER 2017
This monthly digest comprises threats and incidents of violence affecting the delivery of humanitarian assistance. It is prepared by Insecurity Insight from information available in open sources.
13 November 2017: Save the Children announced that it had fired 16 staff over reports of sexual violence in the past year. Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation
The Office of Weapons Removal and Abatement in the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Political-Military Affairs has released the 16th Edition of To Walk the Earth in Safety, a report underscoring the accomplishments of the U.S. Conventional Weapons Destruction Program.
On Monday 16 October 2017 the Council adopted the EU Annual Report on Human Rights And Democracy in the World in 2016.
2016 was a challenging year for human rights and democracy, with a shrinking space for civil society and complex humanitarian and political crises emerging. In this context, the European Union showed leadership and remained strongly committed to promote and protect human rights and democracy across the world.
By Rachel Bergen
Sept. 14, 2017
MCC is known for supporting access to education around the globe by paying school fees, supporting vocational training and providing school supplies. What you might not know is that MCC also works with its partners to improve the quality of education that is offered.
From teacher training to involving the community in school management, here are some examples of partners creatively improving education:
Human Rights Council 36th session
Opening Statement by Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
11 September 2017
Distinguished President of the Council,
As I enter the final year of my current mandate – a year which I will discharge with vigour and determination – I wish to begin with a few short reflections drawn from the past three years.
1. Le présent rapport, qui couvre la période allant d’août 2015 à juillet 2017, est soumis en application de la résolution 70/80 de l’Assemblée générale, dans laquelle l’Assemblée a prié le Secrétaire général de lui présenter un rapport sur l’application de cette résolution, y compris sur les politiques adoptées et les activités menées par le système des Nations Unies dans ce domaine.
1. The present report, covering the period from August 2015 to July 2017, is submitted pursuant to General Assembly resolution 70/80, in which the Assembly requested the Secretary-General to report on the implementation of that resolution, including on relevant United Nations policies and activities.
Central, eastern and western regions
CAUSE OF DISPLACEMENT
More than 391,000 new displacements between 11 and 20 August